Sunday, August 27, 2023

Magical Mystery Drawers

 No, this post isn't about Paul McCartney's underpants (although I'm pretty sure those would be valuable to someone). This week I'm featuring another coin bank that I picked up at a flea market years ago. It looks like this:


"Wait!," you might be saying, "That's not a bank, that's a set of drawers for a doll house!" Well, we're both right! Let's look a little closer, shall we?


The chest is small. It's only  4 3/4" by 4" by 2 1/4". Still, it has pretty good detail. It was apparently made by Sherman Park. It's  made of bakelite, which makes me think that the one date I could find in my online search (1940s) might be correct. 


The back is made of metal. There was a piece missing when I bought it, so I made a sheet metal replacement piece.


How does it work? I'm glad you asked! First you open the top drawer (the only one that opens)


Next, you put a coin inside.


Then, you close it up. (Pay no attention to that clunking sound when you do this- it spoils the magic)


Presto! The coin has vanished!!!
But what if I want my coin back?


Why, there it is! 

This is a fun piece, and not terribly rare since I found several listed when I did a little research for this blog. (Ok, very little). They seem to go for around 30 bucks, which is a lot more than I paid, so I feel good about that. They also made a different style and this one in red and green bakelite, which I find weird.

Anyway, I enjoy it and it's easily discovered magic trick, and that's what really matters.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's a real gem! Much more fun to stuff money in than Macca's BVDs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And yeah, Paul has so much money he wouldn't even appreciate the extra in his shorts...

      Delete
  2. Very fun. I have one odd novelty bank, it looks like a little wooden grist mill, and you can move some secret panels around on the sides, after which you can turn the water wheel and a tiny drawer opens. I think I have an old quarter in the drawer, it can't hold much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds cool!
      The closest I've seen to that is the Japanese puzzle boxes (also known as Haunted Mansion Secret Panel Chests). I'd like to see it!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.