Yesterday I was out and about and I stopped by a garage sale a couple of blocks from my house. On one of the tables I spotted a toy safe bank. It was almost like one I have, but much larger and red. At least I was pretty sure it was red. You see, it was pretty much covered in rust. Well, I fiddled around with it and finally figured out the combination (not hard to do on these banks). I guess I felt sorry for it, because I plunked down my money and it came home with me.
Now, I usually don't restore stuff I pick up. Usually it is in good enough shape that I don't have to. Plus, restoring an item can actually take value away from it. However, this safe was different because 1. It was in really sad shape and 2. It wasn't worth much to begin with. So, here are my restoration pictures!
|My find as found. A very rusty Superior Toy Company Safe bank.|
|Let the sanding begin!!! Actually, the sanding went on for quite a while. I used my Dremel tool to clean up the metal around the dial a little.|
|Next I wiped all the dust off with a damp paper towel and masked off the area I didn't want painted.|
|The first coat. By the way, the inside of the safe showed me that this was, in fact, the original color. Also, this is a plug for Rust-Oleum paint. Please send me a check asap.|
|The second or third coat...I lost count.|
|After the fourth coat had dried, I added these little felt feet so it would be "safe" to set on furniture.|
|And the big reveal! I actually kind of like the dent in the top. Adds character.|
|Here she is among other "treasures." Not bad for a Saturday afternoon.|
So there you have it! It was a fun way to spend a laid back Saturday. By the way, I found that the large dial safes like this one go for a bit more...sometimes thirty bucks! I guess a restored one would go for about half that. It's not for sale, though.
Until next time, keep searching for treasure!