Monday, July 10, 2023

A Box of Golden Treasure!

 Ok, maybe "treasure" is pushing it a bit, but it is kind of neat. You see, years ago a teacher at my school put a bunch of books and stuff outside of her classroom with a "Free" sign. In the middle, I spotted this:


I didn't quite know what it was, but since nobody else had grabbed it it was heading for the trash. I went ahead and picked it up.

I looked at the books. They are nicely bound hardbacks. They obviously have a little age to them too. I stuck them on a bookshelf and pretty much ignored them...until this week. You see, I needed a blog subject...

Soooooo, I pulled them down to see exactly what I had been storing for all these years. What I found was kind of interesting! You see, this book set was published in 1965 and is a collection of the Little Golden Book Disney books! Let's take a look, shall we?

The introduction to the set from "Walt Disney" explains what these books are.


The first book we'll look at is Walt Disney's America, featuring a now rather controversial character on the front. In 1965 this wasn't an issue!




Here we see the various copyright dates, including the 1965 main book date.


Here we have the featured stories. Each one was originally its own Little Golden Book.


This is the first one I happened to turn to. It isn't great. It was obviously written and illustrated before the park was actually open. "Loosly based on Disneyland" would be a kind way to put it.

The next book uses books about Disney's Real Life Adventures.


The cover page...


...and contents.


An example of a story!


Next we have stories that just happen to be placed in places other than America.


...such as England...


The Table of Contents.


And a typical story from the book!


Finally, we have the book which is actually the first in the series (I figured that out after I loaded the pictures). Walt's intro is in this book.


The first page!


The table of contents!


And a representative story! Yay!

And that's about it. I think it's a pretty interesting item, and the price was certainly right. (Free)

Maybe someday when I have a lot of time on my hands, I'll give them all a read. Until then, they'll continue to sit on my shelf.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!


2 comments:

  1. Stu, these do look familiar....maybe one of my friends had this set. They are a treasure and a great way to get kids interested in reading. I would LOVE to see all of that story with Donald Duck visiting Disneyland. If it's not to much work, please post it all in a future post. It's always fun to see how Disneyland is represented.

    Thank you, Stu!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I have another post to do! Yep, I'll show you the whole story. It's not my favorite, but maybe you'll like it. Or not. Lol! I'm already planning next week's post, so I may just tack it on there. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.