Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Whole Tray o' Platz

 Ok, I'll admit it; I just wanted to use the word "platz" in the title. This week we have an item that I found at an antique mall years ago. It's not valuable, but I think it's fun. Here it is!


It's a small (six inches across) tin tray from Epcot's first year! Or, I guess I should say EPCOT Center's first year, since that's what it was called then. It represents Germany, one of the first nations in the World Showcase. The artwork is clearly based on planning drawings, since although it's very close to what ended up being there, it certainly isn't exact (especially the buildings on the left). Here is an actual photo...


This is the back:


The "patina" is pretty bad, so here's what it says, 

GERMANY IN THE WORLD SHOWCASE Fairytale charm and octoberfest revelry are captured in the platz and the biergarten of the Germany pavillion.

And yes, they forgot to capitalize "Octoberfest." 
It's dated 1982, Walt Disney Productions and was made in the good ol' U.S. of A. 

This was one of several matching tins. I've seen examples for America, Japan, and France, so I assume all nine opening day nations had one. Whatever they are made of really ages poorly, and my example is pretty normal condition. 

As I said, they don't hold a lot of value (about a buck each, which is what I paid for mine). However, since I found it "in the wild," that makes it more special. Also, Germany is probably our favorite pavillion (my wife is German on both sides of her family, and we always get a Christmas ornament there when we go) so thay makes it special too. 

So, it's a fun thing to have around! 

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

6 comments:

  1. I think that you will find that hotdogs and other foods will taste especially good when served on your EPCOT CENTER tray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they'd have to be little bitty hot dogs, but I'll give it a shot and let you know!

      Delete
  2. Stu, I like this little tray. I have lots o' German in my blood, plus I'm "patina'd" too, at my age. If you hadn't mentioned it's only six inches across, I would've guessed it was much bigger - maybe 16 inches across. Since it's teeny, you easily have room to collect and display all the others. I'll keep watching to see if you find more.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you threw that collecting gauntlet down on purpose! I guess I'll go to...eBay...

      Delete
    2. Do you know what part of Germany, Sue? My Dad's family is originally from Baden-Württemberg in the southwest.

      Delete
    3. Melissa, I truly do not know. You are the first person to ask me, believe it or not. The next time I come across some of my family records, I'll let you know. All I remember, off the top of my head, is that some of my great grandparents are from Germany, Austria, England/Wales and Ireland. A European blend.

      One of my great great (great?) grandfathers was in the Civil War, though he got kicked out, I've been told. He was a drunkard. I believe he was Irish.

      BTW, I hope it turns out that we're distant cousins!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.