Monday, May 8, 2023

An Old Friend...

 I was going to post something different this week, but I didn't like it. So, last night I called an audible and wenr in a completely different direction! I am retiring this upcoming December and devoting all of my time to playing music. So, this post is in celebration of that... in a round about way...

I realized a few weeks ago that I purchased my bass exactly 42 years ago! Here she is!




This is my 1978 Hofner 500/1 bass that I purchased new in 1981. It had been in the store for those three years waiting for me! We've been together ever since.

Of course I saw my first Hofner in a picture of a certain Mr. McCartney. I remember thinking it must be a custom made bass, although I soon found out that wasn't the case. I was surprised to see one in my local music store, and when I picked it up and played it, I loved how light it was and how easy the short neck was to play! I put it in lay-away and when I got my income tax refund, I got it out. My girlfriend at the time bought me the strap. I still have the strap, but not the girlfriend, lol! 

I've played it ever since, and although I have a couple of other Hofner basses, (a 1964 185 and a 2010 500/7 Verythin) the 500/1 is my "comfort bass." If it's an important gig, I'll be playing the 500/1. It's like an old friend. 


This is me on Saturday with it!


And this is me a year or so ago (you can see the bass better). 

I'm looking forward to this next chapter! This is what I would have done 40 years ago if I didn't have to worry about that whole "eating" thing. It's gonna be great!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!


4 comments:

  1. Stu, your upcoming future sounds ideal - No work and all play!

    In your future posts, please share links to your performances if more go on YouTube - thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. The classic "McCartney" Hofner bass! That company should be grateful to him, just think how many of that style they've sold over the last 50+ years. And Stu, you look great up there on stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes McCartney pretty much made Hofner (even though they had been around since 1873). Now, if you play one, people assume you just play Beatle music!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.