Monday, May 1, 2023

Popping the Top on a Mystery

 Years ago, I picked up a bottle opener shaped like a lady's boot from my home town of Denison, Texas. It has the name "Ike's Soda Water" on it, so I assumed I knew a few things about it. Oh, here it is, by the way...


First, obviously, "Ike" was President Eisenhower, who was born in Denison on October 14, 1890. Denison has always been very proud of that point, even though Ike grew up in Kansas. In fact, you can visit Eisenhower State Park to this day!

So, if Ike is Eisenhower, then the item is probably from his presidential years, 1953-61. It looks older than than, but I figured it was a "retro" item, made to look older than it was. Or, it could be from his WWII days.

I couldn't find a mention of "Ike's Soda Water" from this time, so I even thought that maybe it was a joke piece. So, a neat item, but a little quirky. I had it all figured out, though!

Except I didn't.

Jim Sears, a Denison historian shared something with me that proved everything I assumed to be true about the opener was wrong. Everything! Here's what he gave me...

Well, as it turns out, Ike had nothing to do with Eisenhower! This ad is from 1922- a good 30 years earlier than I thought!

So, there really was an "Ike's Soda Water" (in fruit flavors, apparently). Denison had a bottling plant that bottled several different brands, and this was one of them. 

So, my instincts that this item is older were correct...and everything else I assumed wasn't. 

It just goes to show you what happened when you "assume."

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. Drink Ike's Soda Water; drink it Ike's cold. (Madison Avenue, here I come.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am late to the party, but I made it!

    I like the floral detail on the front of the boot. Fancy schmancy!

    On the ad, I love that there's no mention of the town, and look at that phone number - EASY to remember!

    Why is IKE on the BOTTOM of every bottle? Crazy place to advertise.

    And I love how the ad promotes "Made from true fruit juices - best white sugar - bottled in a sanitary plant." Whew! Much better than "Made from phony fruit juices - lousy white sugar - bottled in a dirty plant."

    Fun treasure - fun discovery - thanks, Stu!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually used it on New Years to open our bottle of Champaign...because the finest Champaign has a bottle top, not a cork! (as far as I'm concerned!)

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.