Saturday, October 2, 2021

Snoopy Time!



 This week I have an item that I picked up fairly recently. I like watches, and I like Peanuts (and Disney). Probably the coolest Peanuts charscter is Snoopy. And the coolest Snoopy is, of course, the World War I Flying Ace!

Charles Schultz said that the idea came to him when he saw his son playing with some toy bi-planes. Adding a flight cap and scarf to America's favorite beagle completed the transformation. 

Of course every hero needs a foe, and obviously Baron von Richthofen was the right choice. "Snoopy and the Red Baron" instantly became a national sensation. They were featured as models kits, board games on albums, on shirts, and on watches.

One such watch was the Timex Snoopy and the Red Baron watch. It looks something like this:



The watch is smallish, being a kid's watch. Probably the most distinctive feature is that instead of a sweep hand, it uses a clear disk with two clouds and the Baron himself circling our hero! Ok, they're circling pretty slowly,  but the idea is there.

The back reveals that the watch was made in the same country as Snoopy's trusted (and usually bullet-riddled) Sopwith Camel. There is no "Timex" logo, but a quick check on the ol' interwebs shows they made it. It has 1965 on it, but I'm pretty sure "late '60s" is more accurate. 

The watch is a mechanical wind up model, which apparently confuses sellers, as I have seen mutiple listings saying that it may need a new battery. Mine winds, runs and keeps perfect time.  A pretty good deal for eight bucks!

Speaking of price, a quick search shows prices all over the place, but usually in the 20-30 dollar range. If you want one, be sure to shop around. 

Since I work in an elementary school, I can wear silly watches. I haven't worn this one yet, but I'm sure I will soon. Sadly, though, today's kids may not know who it is. Still, I will!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

7 comments:

  1. Wow neat. Love Snoopy, in fact I was more into Peanuts than Disney in the early years of my life. I still remember my mom getting me a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake with sugar Charlie Brown and Snoopy figures on it, I loved it. My first watch was a wind-up Snoopy watch too, only on mine he was doing his famous dance (ears up). I love your watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was into Peanuts before Disney too (except for my Peter and the Wolf album that I loved). My grandmother had a huge Peanuts Treasury book that I read a jillion times! Those punch lines still randomly pop up in my memory from time to time, lol! I'll be on the lookout for the "dancing snoopy" watch!
      Thanks!
      (I'm glad it let you comment!)

      Delete
  3. How cute! When I was a kid, I had watch with Lucy from Peanuts. It was the Mickey- Mouse style kind of watch where her arms were the hands of the clock. Snoopy is much cooler, especially with his Sopwith Camel. We had the "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" record by the Four Guardsmen, and I could probably still sing the whole thing from memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the record too! There was also a Christmas version. Talk about hitting all the marketing angles, lol!

      Delete
  4. Stu, congratulations on finding such a great deal! When I was very young, my brother and I were probably equally into Peanuts and Disney. It wasn't long however, before I was pretty much preoccupied with all things Disney. I still have all of my Peanuts items, including a View-Master pack, which has Snoopy living out his fantasy as the "WWI Flying Ace." I think I need to go look for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that reel! Lol, I had forgotten about it!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.