Sunday, October 24, 2021

Attack of the Gremlins!

 In 1970, AMC launched one of their most controversial cars ever; the Gremlin! It was a car you either loved or hated. It looked as if someone had taken a rather plain mid-sized sedan, and lopped the back off of it. To heal the wound, a hatchback was grafted on. In actuality, that was pretty close to the truth.

As a kid, I tended to love them. They were quirky and, if equipped with the optional V8 engine, quite fast. They are often seen as AMC's version of the Ford Pinto or the Chevy Vega, but I think they hold their own.

Of course, Hot wheels wanted to get into the fray. In the decade of the 1970s, they released three models based on the quirky Gremlin. Here they are...


In the front, we have a spectra-flame yellow "Open Fire" from 1972. Mattel made the Gremlin even stranger by adding a second set of front wheels, I suppose to support that massive engine. This car was only around for one year, and can be pricey. I honestly think if they had stayed closer to the actual car, it would be worth more.

Next, we have a green enamel Gremlin Grinder. It was released in 1975. This is one I had as a child, and it's my favorite of the three. It is, in reality, a rather accurate representation of the high performance Gremlin X. Of course, the engine is wonderfully oversized and fun! The whole thing has a good bit of heft to it, so it's a fast runner. 

In the back, we have the red enameled Greased Gremlin from 1978. By this time, the poor little Gremlin had been chopped and modified into a dirt track racer. It's probably my least favorite of the three, but it's still fun. 

It's important to note that the Open Fire and Gremlin Grinder are Redline cars, while the Greased Gremlin is a Blackwall car. The 70s were the last decade of Redline wheels (although many have been rereleased). 

If given the chance, would I actually drive a real AMC Gremlin? I think I would be proud to! Especially the X!

By the way, there was even a Levi's Jeans Gremlin. The seats and interior where all Levi-s branded denim. They don't seem to demand much more money than typical cars, so arguably the promotion value wasn't very lasting. 

But, for now, I will be satisfied with my little Gremlins. They live proudly in my display case where I can see them any time I like.

Until next time keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. The years of the Pacer’s (Fishbowl), Vega’s, Pinto’s and Gremlins—especially the Denim Gremlin. Great memories! Fun Hot Wheels, too - thanks, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really cared for the Pacer (The gremlin's ugly sister). I almost mentioned it here, but forgot as I was writing. Thanks for putting it in!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.