Monday, August 30, 2021

People Say We Monkey Around

 What do you do when you get so incredibly busy over the weekend that you forget to post? You do a follow-up post from the week before!

As you may (or may not) know, last week's post was about my MPC Monkeemobile model. In it, I mentioned wanting my old Corgi Monkeymobile back. As it turns out, I completely forgot that I have yet another Monkeymobile from another company! 

Introducing, the Playing Mantis, Johnny Lightning Monkeymobile!




Yes, in the late 90's Playing Mantis came out with this one! It's actually very well done. Note the pinstriping down the side and the detailed engine and chassis. The only thing missing is the Monkees logo on the side, and this tells us that this particular car is a second run. 

You see, Playing Mantis got the rights to the car, but NOT the logo. This was only discovered after the first run went out, so there are cars with the logo, but they are tougher to find. I found this one at KB Toys on the rack, so it wasn't tough at all.

Well, there you have it. I really like this little car. Maybe someday I'll put in the effort to go to eBay and see if I can get a logo version...or not.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. Stu, I love the Monkeemobile, but am STUNNED to learn that it was not a George Barris design! I thought he did ALL of those famous TV cars. How much would a version of that toy with the logo go for? It sounds to me like you need one. You need one BAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I looked it up right after I posted and I only found one...and it was about 50 bucks. I didn't pull the trigger...but I might...We'll see!
      Barris would have been more than happy for you to keep on believing that! I met him once at a car show (he signed a Munsters Drag-Ula for me) and he was very nice. I have heard that he could be a glory hog, though. I guess it comes with being the best at something!

      Delete
    2. I went back and checked again and they had knocked it down to 30 bucks (40 with shipping).
      I bought it.
      Major, you're a bad influence, lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.