Friday, August 6, 2021

Collecting the Boss

 In 1970 a new line of Hot Wheels debuted, The Spoilers. This series of cars is pretty easy to identify since most have exposed engines, and...well...spoilers. They are actually a retooling of the 1968 line of "Custom" cars, which were lightly modified street vehicles. These care are generally quite sought after by collectors because they are very nice examples of the muscle cars they represent. One of the most popular "Spoilers" is the Boss Hoss Ford Mustang that was released in 1971. Here are my examples:



 Actually only the car in the middle is from 1971. The chrome cars are from 1970.

What? (you may ask yourself) I thought you said it came out in 1971! What gives?

Well, as it turns out, the Hot Wheels Club gives (or gave, anyway). You see, you could mail off to join the Hot Wheels Club and you got a really cool chrome car in your kit. You didn't know what car you were getting (there were three different ones) but one of the possibilities was the Boss Hoss, which you could NOT buy in a store! 

In the picture above we have (from front to back) 1. My first Boss Hoss Club Car, 2. My standard 1971 Boss Hoss, and 3. Another Club Car that I bought because it was pretty cheap. Which brings us to an interesting fact. Even though the Club Cars were regarded as a special release, and came out one year before the standard release, they really don't command any extra money. In fact, it sometimes seems that you can find chrome Club Cars for less that the standard release. The most sought after car is the "over chrome" model. These are Club Cars that were not used, so they simply sprayed over the chrome with spectraflame paint. 

In all honesty though, I do like the Club Cars a bit more. I can only imagine being a kid and opening up my long waited for Club box and finding a car that none of my friends could even buy! Now THAT would be treasure!

Speaking of which, until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. Stu, I have one of these chrome cars. I remember joining that club and getting it in the mail.

    I have to go look for it now.

    Thanks for posting this and reminding me.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Let me know which one it is when you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure y cousin had the one in the middle. We used to play with his cars on Grandma's porch, using the mortar between the flagstones for roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those flagstones were probably pretty rough on it (I certainly can't talk, I played with mine in a giant pile of dirt). But that's why people pay stupid amounts for them now! I try not to because my Scottish heritage won't allow it!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.