Sunday, August 22, 2021

Hey, Hey, It's a Blog Post!

 Greetings from the Attic! This week we have a blast from my childhood (that I built as an adult). The Monkeemobile! First, settle back, class, and listen to a little history... (insert wavey lines across screen)

In 1966 the producers of a new show called The Monkees approached Dean Jefferies about building a car. The show was about a band made up of young people who may or may not have seemed remarkably like The Beatles.

Anyhoo, Jefferies knew someone at Pontiac, and a deal was struck  the Monkeymobile would be a (very) stretched 1966 GTO convertable, tricked out with the drag strip in mind. The original had a supercharged 389 with a 4 barrel carb (that's car talk for lots and lots of power). However, it proved difficult to drive, so a fake supercharger was added.  

There were originally two cars built. One was for on camera and one was for touring. Jefferies was working for MPC at the time, so they got exclusive rights for the plastic model. That's where I come in.

This is my MPC Monkeemobile that I (more or less) carefully built in a fit of nostalgia. Here she is!


The "artistic" angle.

    The nose was sharpened considerably.
   Oversized tail lights frame a drag chute.
         The Model T style top comes off!
The details of the interior. I didn't do great, but at least I tried!

       The underside is pretty detailed...

I keep it in a plastic case to scare off any pesky dust. So far, it's done pretty well. 

It was a fun project! Someday I might replace my Corgi Monkeemobile from my childhood... Stay tuned!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.