Sunday, September 4, 2016

Disney Knives!

Wow, those are two words that don't often go together these days! However, there was a time not so long ago when one of the coolest Disney related items you could get was a pocket knife! I have a small collection, so I thought I'd share them with you! (Say this next line in your best Mickey voice) "Oh boy! Here we go!"

I think this is the oldest one in my collection. These came on a card that had a picture of Tinkerbell on it. It's tiny, and I think it was sold in Fantasyland in the early 1960's or late 1950's.

This was the Frontierland version! It's still tiny (about an inch and a half long) but it has a ton of features that a young Davy Crocket might need. I'm not sure how effective that tiny cork screw would be.... This probably dates from about the same time as the Fantasyland knife.

Ok, techically this isn't a Disney knife. It's actually from the New York World's Fair. But since Walt and company did so much for that fair that got transported back to Disneyland, I think it counts. So there.

This is how it looks open. It is much more of a "real knife" than the first two.

Now, this one has confused quite a few people over the years. The logo seems to indicate that it was some rare first day item! Alas, it isn't. In reality it was made in 1985 to celebrate Disneyland's 30th anniversary. Still, that's pretty cool!

Yep, those blades are way too shiny for 1955!
Of course now Disney is firmly out of the knife business (as far as I know). If you are looking for vintage Disney knives, eBay is a good place to check. They can be had for fairly good prices.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

1 comment:

  1. I'll second your reasoning on including the NYWF knife. I think I even see the dome of the "Progressland" exhibit on the left, so that makes the connection even more explicit in my mind (for whatever that's worth).

    These are pretty neat, and something I'd never seen before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.