Monday, August 29, 2016

When Dallas Was Ocean Front Property

No, I'm not talking about pre-history here. I'm talking about a short-lived and much forgotten marine animal park that existed in the suburb of Arlington- Seven Seas!

In the early 1970's, Arlington, Tx was mainly known as the home of Six Flags Over Texas. That park was doing so well, that the city government decided to add to the attractions. They built a stadium for the MLB Texas Rangers and then broke ground on a whole new park- Seven Seas.

At first, Six Flags was going in halves with the city, but then their management company almost went bankrupt (for reasons not involving either park) and they bailed on the project, leaving the city holding the bag. I don't have time, space, or knowledge enough to tell you exactly what happened next, but suffice it to say that the city built a really cool park that due to bad management failed within four years. Seven Seas 1972-1976...R.I.P.

By the way, before they settled on the marine park idea, the city approached Walter Knott to see if he wanted to open another Knott's Berry Farm. He told them that he was too old to start anything new. Ah, what might have been....

Anyway, Seven Seas was actually a pretty cool park (even if it was never built out completely). I remember going there with my dad. I was impressed at a martial arts demonstration when they showed how to block a bullet and it didn't work. It was pretty much the Indiana Jones sword fighter gag years before the movie. To a ten year old it was hillarious.

Anyway, I bought one of those wooden sailor figures that I had for years. Then I lost it...somewhere. However, I did stumble across the next two items in two different auctions. They went for almost nothing because...well, no one really remembers Seven Seas anyway. So, for your amusement I give you my new...old....souvenirs:




So there ya go! Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.