Saturday, August 20, 2016

Welcome to Haunted Heights!

Well, our trips to Plasticville have gotten me thinking about some of the other buildings that will eventually make up my train layout. You see, I pretty much have the whole thing mapped out in my head, and over the years I've bought kits that I've built to realize that map. So, today I'm going to show you the fine "homes" of the Haunted Heights section...

This was the house that started it all. This is the Alexander Haunted House kit. It's made of balsa wood and card stock with metal windows and doors. The windows are Scotch tape!

The rear of the house. The chimney is carved from a solid hunk of balsa...

This next house might look a little familiar. The good folks at Polar Lights produced this Psycho house a few years back. Alfred Hitchcock would be proud!

The rear of the house. 

I found this clever addition at a local hobby shop. It's not true to the movie, but it's pretty funny...

This is the Lifelike Haunted House....plus some. I thought the original kit was too simple and a little boring, so I "kit bashed" two kits together to make an "L" shaped mansion.

The back porch is a front porch that was cut down.

Finally, we have Gomez and Morticia's place. A few years back Polar Lights re-released the old Aurora Addams Family House kit in all its glory!

The back of the house. The stick moves glow in the dark "ghosts" in and out of the windows. 

One of those ghosts peeking out the back door!
So there you go! Will there be any more houses? Well, this section of the layout will actually be pretty small, so probably not. Still, there IS a model of the Munsters' house......

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you are planning on incorporating both a haunted neighborhood and plenty of Plasticville buildings into your plan. It's not what many in the hobby would do, but one of the things I like about the hobby is that it gives the modeler plenty of room for personal expression. If you're into hyper-detailing and prototypical operations, that's fine, but if you want to model a North Pole landscape or a lunar railroad or recreate your childhood Tyco layout (or what you wish your childhood Tyco layout would have been like), there's nothing wrong with that, either.

    Looking forward to (eventually?) seeing pictures of your HO layout. I have one in my head, too, with some stuff in storage (most of it Tyco leftovers from my own childhood), awaiting space to build it. Of course, by that time, nobody will remember how to wire DC layouts. Does brass track have a half-life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I missed this comment, Chuck! Anyway, thanks! I'm reminded that Walt wanted Disneyland as his "ultimate train layout!" If he can do that, we can do anything! Good luck on yours too!

      Delete
    2. Oops! I missed this comment, Chuck! Anyway, thanks! I'm reminded that Walt wanted Disneyland as his "ultimate train layout!" If he can do that, we can do anything! Good luck on yours too!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.