Saturday, September 17, 2016

Re-Powered Powerline!

This week I have something a little different to share. A couple of weeks ago I bid on a Daisy BB gun in an auction. I lost. However, it reminded me of a gun I already had, so I went to my closet and dug out this:



This is an old Daisy Powerline 1200 that I purchased new over 25 years ago. It's a Co2 powered gun, and the cartridge was out, so I bought a new one at Walmart and plugged it in! All I heard was "sssssssssssssssssss..." and then I had an empty (and kind of frosty) useless gun. Every bit of the gas had escaped in about 10 seconds. Crud.

Did I give up???

Yes!

But then I remembered Google and went into 'fix-it mode." As it turns out, the seals on these old guns can give out, so I decided to tear into mine and see if that was the problem. After removing about seven screws, I had this:


Yup, that was a lot of parts, and I wasn't exactly sure where they all went (or even what they all did) but I was on a mission! Opening up the silver part that the Co2 canister screwed into (I don't know the name of it) I found this:


The rear seal was, indeed, shot! Now, I thought that this little o-ring looked pretty standard, so I ran up to Home Depot and found these:


I applied a little silicon oil, slapped in the new o-ring, put everything back together (ok, that actually took about three tries- who knew all those screws were different sizes???) and put in another Co2 cartridge.

I heard a "ssssss" but then....silence!

I won! I fixed the silly thing! I plinked off a few rounds in the back yard just to be sure and she shoots like a champ!

The moral to this story is.....uh.....Ok, there isn't really a moral, but I'm glad I didn't give up and toss the gun.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.