Sunday, May 15, 2016

When Hillbillies Ruled The Earth...

Hello, campers!
This week I drug a bit of history out of the attic that takes me back to a simpler time. A time when there were only three main tv stations, and rural comedies ruled. The time is 1963, and the item is:




Yep, it's the Beverly Hillbillies Setback Card Game! The only thing longer and more confusing than the name, are the instructions. Sheesh! Anyway, it's pretty easy to see that Milton Bradley was just trying to cash in on the hottest new tv show by sticking its name and cast pictures on a fairly boring card game.

Still, it made sense at the time. The Beverly Hillbillies were part of the "rural comedy" universe that included Andy Griffith, Green Acres, etc...and those shows were hot, baby, HOT! Also, card games were still the rage in American living rooms, with bridge being the king. So...natural tie-in!

Unlike the show, I don't think I would actually like this game much. Obviously I've never played it. Heck, I don't even think I've ever made it through all of the rules...and they're one sheet....on the inside of the box.

Still, I like the box art (Did you know that their truck was really a converted touring car? Now you do!) And the cast pictures on the cards are kind of entertaining. So, it sits up on the shelf...never played, but never tossed.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.