Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Matchbook Tank

Some things in my collection are from my childhood, but not all. A case in point is this week's entry; the Eldon Match Kit Patton Tank. As a kid, the only things I knew Eldon made were slot car tracks. However, as it turns out, they had whole lines of other interesting toys and hobby items! Here is my Match Kit model...



I found this example at Hobby Town a few years ago. I think it might have been part of a collection that they bought and then sold off. It is dated 1967, and I know Hobby Town wasn't around then! Neither price is accurate, by the way. I think I paid closer to three bucks. Still, I consider it a good deal!

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that although the model looks like it's packaged in a match book, the matchbook is pretty out of scale. It measures about 6X4.5 inches. Those are huge honkin' matches!  It's a pretty cool marketing idea, though. 

I have no idea what quality the model is. I've never opened the package, and probably won't. That's the problem with collecting models...when you open them the value plunges (not to mention the "cool factor") But, what good is a model that's forever sealed? Things like this keep me up at night. Maybe someday I'll find an open one....or not.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.