Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Haunted Treasure Game.....Or Is It?

Among the items that I have collected over the years, I have quite a few baby boomer board games (say that fast three times- I dare ya!) By "quite a few" I mean over a hundred. I have all of the old standards like "Clue," "Monopoly," "Sorry," etc... Then I have a few really weird ones...like this:

This is "Haunted Treasure Hunt" by Milton Bradley. It is dated 1975, and I found it at a thrift store years ago. As best as my research can tell, it was made for only one year, so it is pretty rare. However, that's not the interesting part. What is really cool about this game is the game board...


Now, class, can anyone tell me why this board is so interesting? Well, anyone with more than a passing knowledge of Milton Bradley games will tell you pretty quickly that what we are looking at here is a repurposed "Operation" board! The holes you are supposed to get the treasure out of are even still in the shapes of the "funny bone," etc. from that game! (Even though the bits of treasure aren't those shapes...)

 The "Operation" man's nose becomes the sea captain's lantern. Add in a creepy haunted house based on the Psycho house and there you go- a whole new game!

I guess kids caught on pretty quickly that it really wasn't a whole new game, and that's why it was so short lived. Still, I find it interesting in a "did they really think no one would notice" kind of way.

By the way, if you want to convert your own "Operation" game, here are the rules:


Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.