Monday, May 23, 2016

A Time Traveling Train

This week I'm focusing on a childhood favorite that came home after about 45 years...or so...

The following picture was taken at my grandparent's house in 1967...


As you can see, it was a good Christmas! Among the treasures you can see a Marx Battery Operated Train Set. I played with that train quite a bit over the next few years, but then it went to the Land of Lost Toys (I don't know where that is, but I'm pretty sure it's a real place!)

Years passed.....and more years passed....and a few more.....and then.... I realized that the Land of Lost Toys has an outlet store- called eBay! So, I started looking for my long lost toys and I found that I could have them all...for a price.

However, I am rather...uh...cheap. So, I looked and looked and looked and finally decided that I would never get that stinkin' train for a reasonable price. Then, a miracle happened and there it was! For cheap! And no one bid me up! And it was even local, so I saved shipping! So after a quick drive to Wylie, Tx, I had:



So what is the point of all of this? It's simply this- if you stick to your treasure hunt long enough...you're going to get rewarded. Don't give up! Sometimes the train is just running a little late.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. My best friend in preschool/Kindergarten had something very similar, although I seem to remember plastic track. I'll have to research the history of the toy to determine if his was actually a Marx product or some knock-off. I know Marx made wind-up, stamped-metal sets before the battery-powered ones, and despite the obvious, toy-like quality the graphics and lettering were actually more accurate than contemporary products from Lionel and American Flyer.

    Also, I can't help but zeroing in on the G.I. Joe space capsule. A different friend had one of those as a hand-me-down from a brother. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to get a couple of track connectors and get her moving!

      Delete
    2. Now I need to get a couple of track connectors and get her moving!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.