Monday, July 29, 2024

The Fast Buck!

 Hello, campers! This week we're going to take a look at a model designed by Tom Daniel, the king of the showcar model. Tom loved to take highly unlikely vehicles and convert them into hot rods. Since he was dealing with plastic model kits, he could really lean into the fantasy aspect, without worrying about if they were actually practical. Case in point; The Fast Buck!

Or, should I say, The Jinx Express!  You see, the model was first released in 1971 molded in silver under that name. Two years later, in 1973, the rereleased it in blue plastic as The Fast Buck. Why the change? I honestly don't know. This particular example is actually the 1995 rerelease, which is identical to the 1973 release. Anyway, here she is!


The really unique thing about this model is that it's a working piggy bank! The coin slot is in the turret (which turns).


I read that since it was meant to be a piggy bank, Tom Daniel gave the front a "snout."


In the back, we have the feature that I like most of all, a working combination lock safe door, which the builder actually assembles!


And yes, I actually use my model to hold pennies! Of course I have quite a few coin banks.


The chassis is not very detailed, but I include it because I go above and beyond for my readers!

So there you have it! It's a fun model that is actually a little useful. It also inspired a Hot Wheels car, but more on that later!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, the 'model' aspect doesn't interest me much. But the fact that it's also a bank makes it pretty cool. And like you said, that combination lock, which you get to assemble, is the coolest part.

    I guess the thing that makes it sort of 'meh' to me is the lack of color; everything is plain blue. Is it meant to be painted by the builder? That would make it more interesting. Thanks, Stu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the "all blue" isn't wonderful. That's the color scheme on the box, though. The original Jinx Express was the same model molded in silver, which I think actually works better, but the decals are worse.
      By the way, when you build the lock, you get to create your own combination!

      Delete
  2. I need one of those to hold all of my gold coins. Right now I keep them in a cereal bowl, probably not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should just get one made out of gold!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.