Monday, July 15, 2024

All Aboard the Honeymoon Express!

Well, I still can't post from my phone, but I can from my tablet, so here goes!

Last week we went to an estate sale that featured a lot of train stuff. It was the most interesting thing listed in the estate sales, so we figured, " Why not?" I told Laurie not to be surprised if I didn't get anything at all, but we ended up with a few things. 

Here is the first thing I grabbed...


This is the Marx Honeymoon Express windup toy from (as best as I can tell) the 1930s! I say "as best as I can tell" because apparently Marx made almost 40 variations on this toy from 1926 to the 1950s. Later versions even had an airplane circling the building in the middle, in addition to the train!


Looking down on it, you can see the lithography that Marx was famous for. When wound up, the train shoots through the two tunnels and over the bridge with a speed that would surely have plastered any passengers to the outside wall of the train cars. Yes, this one works!


If you flip it over, you can see that the toy is really an outside ring held to an inside disc by those two tunnels and one bridge. The clockwork is completely in the little station that stands in the middle, and a rod moves the train piece around the space in between the ring and the disc. Quickly. Very quickly.

I usually get pretty good deals on stuff (because I'm cheap) but I think I paid retail for this. Why? Because I just think it's cool! Being a toy guy, I knew about the Honeymoon Express, of course, and this was my opportunity to grab one! 

So, sometimes you have to pay up for that treasure, but if you like it, it's worth it!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. 1. What did Laurie buy?
    2. Am I correct to assume that Laurie is Mrs. Stu? ;o)
    3. This IS a cool toy! A super-speed Honeymoon Express. You didn’t mention the Jungle Cruise Schweitzer Falls—nice added touch!

    Thanks for sharing your new ‘old’ treasure, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Laurie bought a couple of records, including the Moody Blues and a Donovan 45. Cool stuff, really.
      2. Indeed!
      3. I never thought of tieing in Schweitzer Falls! Good catch!

      Delete
  2. Wow, an honest to goodness metal toy! It does indeed have that 1930s look. Are there any identifying marks/numbers that might pin down the date? So funny that it spins around so fast. You'd think that they would add a gear or two to slow it down. Then again, they DO call it an "Express"!. I actually love the look of, and concept of, this toy. Whatever you paid for it, it was worth it. Well, up to a point. I only have one question: What does "Honeymoon" have to do with it? (Or am I just being dense?) Thanks, Stu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no numbers or anything. Sigh. I came to 1930s because it doesn't have the airplane, and the train is diesel. The earliest one were lithographed as steam (although the form was the same). I could be wrong, of course! In fact, I never did find one exactly like this one. Most have the bridge trestle as a weird yellow and red camo.
      JB, I would never call you dense, especially since in this case I'm right there with you! I just don't know!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.