Monday, May 27, 2024

Banking on Texas

 Hello Atticittes! This week I'm going to feature the other thing I bought at the estate sale where I got Skittle Poker.... What is it? Well...this!


This is a small (about 4 3/4 inches tall), very simple bank! It's made out of some brass-like metal that is stamped with the state of Texas. Here are a couple of other shots of the stamping...



I actually looked this bank up because I hadn't seen one exactly like it, and it seems it was probably made in the early 1960s. This is the only Texas example I could find, but there were banks for other states. There was even an example from the New York World's Fair that I would really rather have (if anybody wants to trade ;-)  ).

An interesting detail I noticed was that there is supposed to be a penny glued to the top. Mine has the dent for it, but no penny, so I found a 1967 example and placed it there for this picture. Hey, production value is important for a blog!


The bank is very simple to open. You just screw off the bottom. There is a long screw down the middle that holds everything together.


And there you have it! These seem to all go for right about 25 bucks, and I paid less that two for mine, so I did ok. I'll add it to my small (but growing) coin bank collection.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!


4 comments:

  1. Forty-nine more to find, plus the NYWF one. (Maybe there’s even more?!) I wonder if Major Pepperidge has the NYWF one??

    Fun stuff, Stu! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was wondering if he might. I was kidding about the trading (sort of) ;-)

      Delete
  2. At least there's no little key that will inevitably get lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Of course I've gotten pretty good at picking coin bank locks with paper clips! (A skill that will, no doubt, come in handy in my new career as a secret agent!)

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.