Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Skiddle Cards!!!

 Sorry this entry is a day late! My anniversary was yesterday and I was focused on that. Also, there's literally no one saying what day I HAVE to publish, so there's that...

Anyway, this week's entry is an item I picked up on Sunday! We stopped into an estate sale that we happened to be driving by, and in a closet by the car port I found this...

Yep, it's Skittle Poker by Aurora! There were a couple of years in the early 1970s where everything was coming up "Skiddle," baby! Don Adams, of Get Smart fame, was the spokesman for a line of games that used on interesting swinging ball device to bowl, play pool, or, in this case, play poker! There were even more skiddle games as well, but I don't recall what they were right off the top of my head- which is how I usually do research on these posts. Nothing's too good for my readers!

Now this box is BIG! It's over two feet wide, and about four inches deep. You won't find any display space hogging games like this at your modern department store, but it was a different time. And that time for this game was 1972!

Opening up the box doesn't show you much. This is just the poker table part, with the plastic ring around it that the skittle shooter sits in. Everything else is under the board.

And here are the parts set up! You only get eight playing cards, which brings me to the fact that this game is complete. 

This is a "player's view" of the game. The idea is simple; you swing the ball attatched to the chain into the stationary ball mounted to the tripod that then knocks the colored ball (green in this case) into a hole on the board. Everything can be aimed and the tripod can be moved around the ring.

So how, exactly, do you play? I'm glad you asked! Here you go!



This last page was in the box, but I'm not sure it actually came with the game. It doesn't seem very useful in this application.

So there you go! Having owned this for just a couple of days, I haven't played yet, butbI will! I hope I remember to tell you guys how it goes!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. Huh. I've never heard of this particular "Skittle" game before. I remember seeing "Skittle Bowl" in the toy sections of stores back in the day. The swinging ball was used to knock over little bowling pins. I think the swinging ball was positioned above the middle of the playing surface on a tripod thingy. Hard to remember now because I gave it only a few seconds perusal before moving on to more 'cool' toys, like Creepy Crawlers or Vac-U-Form; which we did get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never "skittled" either as a kid, but I DID have an Incredible Edibles! Ah, I can still remember that fruit flavored petro-chemical goodness!

      Delete
  2. Oh, cool! I remember the commercial for this game. I never knew anyone who had it, so I've never played it. Come to think of it, I guess this wouldn't be a game for kids, since it's based on the game of poker. My brother and I were given the Skittle Bowling game one year for Christmas. I remember there was also a "Skittle Pool" game. I found the commercial for your "Skittle Poker" on YouTube!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5GSbRpOR8

    - TokyoMagic!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.