Monday, June 3, 2024

Yet Another Moonliner

Disneyland's first rocket to the moon was certainly a hit. Crowds' imaginations were ignited by the towering "weenie" in Tomorrowland. 

There have been a few Moonliner models over the years. First, in the 50s, was the Strombecker model...(not mine- picture from eBay)

Next, we had Glenco re-release it....several times over the years. (this one IS mine)


Then there is the one I built from scratch. Here it is next to my Walt Cunningham signed Apollo 7 Saturn IB.


And, yes, it flys...


And I consider this one a model too...I took this on my recent Disneyland trip!

Now, however, I found a model that I completely forgot about! I had a friend that passed away a number of years ago, and another friend that was helping with his estate gave me this...

Ok, not too interesting. But inside we have...


A Moonliner model!
But what is this and where did it come from? Well it seems that in 1999 the International Plastic Model Society (IPMS) packaged a custom version to welcome the new century. The IPMS is still around, by the way. Here is their story about this Moonliner...


This kit comes with a custom slice of Mars!


 Mine is kit number 527...


It also comes with a custom decal sheet...


The instructions are pretty much the Glenco originals, with added hints about the Mars display stand.


Will I build it? Probably not. I really think it's cooler as a kit! 

By the way, there is apparently a new kit out that I know nothing about...but I just might have to get!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

5 comments:

  1. I just found out the new model is 295.00. I'm crazy, but not that crazy! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw c'mon, show us that you ARE that crazy, and spend the $295! Looks like you're cornering the Moonliner market, Stu. The in-flight pic looks neat. Did it have a parachute? Or did it get damaged when it 'landed'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Scottish heritage won't allow it, JB!
      Thanks on the flight photo! It has a parachute, but lost a foot pad on each of the two flights she took. Fortunately I have a big bag of wooden discs that I bought at Hobby Lobby just for this project- so I can lose about a hundred more!

      Delete
  3. That custom slice of Mars is a fun added piece. That kit is cool, but I would love to see the finished product. If you ever put it together, please share it with us.

    I especially love the DL picture and your blasting-off rocket picture. Cool stuff!

    Thanks, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue!
      I doubt I'll build it, but I might build the Glenco kit.
      I only wish I could have stayed in Disneyland a little longer last trip, lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.