Monday, January 1, 2024

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad....

 ...well you get the idea. This week I'm featuring a magazine that was part of just about every Boomer boy's life (no, not Boy's Life, although that one would count too). I'm talking about Mad Magazine!

I happened to buy a ton of old RC airplane and hot rod magazines years ago, and I stumbled across this in the middle of them. It's interesting (at least to me) because it's from March, 1973. That's three months before I went on my one and only (to this point) trip to Disneyland. Here it is!


The cover features The Planet of the Apes, which seems a little late until you realize that it's making fun of the sequels as well.


I just liked the inside of the cover for no real reason...


Here are the contents...


And the first page of the feature. Really what stuck out to me most of all is how the humor didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Heck, when I was a kid, this stuff was gold, baby, GOLD!


This was probably the funniest thing in there to me now...


Spy vs Spy is always good for a chuckle...

As I said, there is a ton of more stuff in there, but a combination of the jokes no longer being relevant, and me being 50 years older has made it tough to plow through, I'm afraid. 

Still, it's a nice throwback to a simpler time that I just happened to stumble across. Maybe when I read it later with lowered expectations, I'll enjoy it more. We'll see.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. I do recall reading Mad magazine - but I don't remember ever buying it. I must've read my friend's or cousin's copies?? Back in the good ol' days.

    Thanks for sharing your copy, Stu.

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.