Monday, June 26, 2023

Plastic Tuna Boat

 No, the tuna isn't plastic, it's the boat, you see. 

In 1955 when Disneyland opened, the main feature in Fantasyland (other than that castle thingy) was the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship. Now, this wasn't just ANY pirate ship. These pirates served delicious tuna dishes made with Chicken of the Sea tuna!

In 1960 (to the best of my research, which consisted of a quick Google) Revell came out with a plastic model of the ship. Oh, look! Here it is!

The website "Scalemates" has a good picture of the original box. Note that tuna isn't actually mentioned  since Peter Pan was probably more popular for kids. Who wants to make a model of a tuna sandwhich, anyway?

Anyway, the model was produced for about ten years, as best as I can figure, and then disappeared forever. The actual Disneyland icon lasted a bit longer, finally meeting it's untimely end in 1982 with the "New Fantasyland" project. The official story is that they tried to move it to make room for the relocated Dumbo ride, but it fell apart. I kind of doubt the truth to that because they knew full well that it was actually a building on a foundation that would need to be rebuilt if moved. I suspect that dollars played the biggest role in her destruction.

Anyway, at that point it was all over. No prototype and no model. Nothing. Nada. Squat. 

Except it wasn't. You see model companies hate to toss old molds. They are, after all, pretty expensive. Just because they no longer have the liscense for a property doesn't mean they have to stop using them. A quick re-branding and "Wham!" new product! So, you can still build the Tuna Boat? See, here she is!





I think it's a little funny to see a cartoony ship being depicted as an evil ghost ship riding a raging sea, but it kind of works. Kind of. 

Notice the new name. "Caribbean Pirate Ship." It seems like they're trying to tap into another Disney property...without paying for it, of course! 

I bought one of these re-released kits a couple of years ago. I actually started it, bit then I ran into a problem that I call "prototype paralysis." You see, I started looking at pictures on Daveland, Gorillas Don't Blog, and Yesterland, and I got overloaded with details! 

Here is what's in the box...

A lot of black plastic. The box makes you think that it's going to be glow in the dark plastic, but if you look closer it says that you need to use glow in the dark paint for that. 

Here is my, somewhat sad, attempt at converting it back into the Disneyland version. 

All of that black plastic means you have to lay the paint on thick. There are also a lot of little paint details that are really really hard to paint! So...I gave up. I quit. 

The sad thing is that its a pretty easy model to build. Here are the instructions...




I may return to this project now that I've looked at it again. It's not THAT bad, after all. We'll see how it goes. 

Of course, those sails are gonna be tough...

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

9 comments:

  1. A Disneyland classic! You must put this at the top of your to-do list. This goes before your honey-do list, btw. I'd love to see this one done.

    This completed ship would make a great centerpiece at a Jr. Gorilla's luncheon with tuna melts (tuna burgers) and all. Once you retire, we'll have time to throw this together. :o)

    Thanks for sharing more treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ That was me, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun!
      Ok, I guess I'll move it up!
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I remember when this kit was re-released in the late ‘70s. Back then, it came with the glow-in-the-dark paint. I considered buying it just for the paint. Who wants a boring old ship model when you can buy an airplane? Whoosh!

      If I had only known. And I was enough of a Disneyland nerd that I probably, eventually would have figured it out.

      As you know, I have one of these as well…still unbuilt. DW has I think two or three, and if I’m remembering correctly, that includes at least one of the original Disneyland issues. I bought mine for more than I wanted to pay for it a few years ago, kicking myself that I hadn’t bought it ten years earlier when it was easy to find on craft and big box store shelves at a much cheaper price (like the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire I picked up at Hobby Lobby yesterday for $6). I think I paid $40 or $45 pirate ship with postage from eBay.

      Now that my younger son has suddenly discovered miniature war gaming and is building and painting models, I am getting the itch again. I have three airplane projects in the hopper (two for my dad) that I am waiting for paint and supplies to arrive to get started on. Then I may tackle my pirate ship. The sails look like a real beast, though.

      I hope you still have that website I sent you about some tricks for getting the hull together cleanly. And if you do…cauldron you send it back? I seem to have misplaced the link.

      DW pointed something out to me on the Disneyland box art you reposted: they airbrushed out the dock and walkway to the ship, but they left the now-out-of-place door in the hull. Weird. I considered possibly adding doors to my ship like in the Disneyland original, but then I came to my senses. This will be challenging enough straight out of the box.

      Also - I’d think twice before following Sue’s advice about putting this ahead of your “honey do” list. Sue is wise about many things, but she’s never been married to a woman.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, all of these projects are starting to call to me again not that I'm going to have the time (hopefully!). We'll see what reality dictates.
      I remembering you sending me that, but I don't remember if ypu emailed or messaged or what. I'll try to find it, because it was really good info! When I figure it out, I'll route it back to you!

      Delete
  3. Stu, this is such a cool item! I remember the first time I was ever aware of this model existing. It was in the early 1980s, and I was in a "toys and collectibles" shop in Hollywood. They had one of the original issue models, unassembled, in the box. I REALLY wanted it, but they wanted $100 for it. This was of course, before ebay. Anyway, there was no way that I was going to pay that much for it. It's nice to see that it was reissued with the generic name and graphics. I probably should have gotten one at that point, but I think that ship has sailed.........(pun intended). If you do finish building this, you need to make sure you always keep a little dab of fresh tuna inside of it, so that it will forever smell like the real deal!

    - TokyoMagic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I would have been tempted at 100.00....but I would have probably passed on it!
      I like my teeny plastic tuna sandwich idea!

      Delete
  4. P.S. "The actual Disneyland icon lasted a bit longer, finally meeting it's untimely end in 1985 with the "New Fantasyland" project."

    The pirate ship was actually torn down in the Spring of 1982, with the New Fantasyland opening in May of 1983!

    - TM!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.