Sunday, March 26, 2023

A Very Special Putter

 Hello Attic Explorers!

This week I have something that maybe no one else will think is special- but I do. The item is a Sutters Mill 24k gold plated putter engraved for the Dr. Pepper soft drink company. Sutters Mill makes promotional items of all sorts for various companies, usually service awards and that sort of thing. Although it is a pretty thing, it's not particularly valuable. Here it is:




It happens to be one of my treasured possessions, though, because it was treasured by my father, Dr. Harold B. Powley.

My dad was a golfer. I mean a dedicated live-to-golf  guy. In fact, when he started a second career, he became night manager and auditor at Brook Hollow Golf Club, "the most exclusive country club in the southwest." Folks like Ross Perot and the Lays (of Frito-Lay fame) were members and celebrities were always there. In fact, dad got on pretty good terms with John Wayne. 

His main reason for working there, though, was that he got to play the course on Mondays, when the club was closed. 

Here's a picture of him with some golf buddies. He's on the far left...


He also was an avid collector and estate sale attender. That's where he got the putter.  

I got his love of collecting, but not of golf. We went out to the driving range a few times, but I was...well...not good. Still, when he passed away in 2008, I got some of his trophies, and the gold putter.

I'll probably never use it, but I'll also never get rid of it. Maybe my grandson or granddaughter will use it some day (my daughter and son-in-law don't play). So for now, I just keep it propped up against the wall in the living room. A reminder of a great guy and an above average golfer.

And someone who never stopped searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, I think my dad might have had a gold-plated putter too! But my other two brothers got his clubs after he passed (I'm the only one who does not golf), so I assume it is with one of them. Meanwhile, my dad was probably an average golfer, but he sank his first hole in one when he was in his mid-70s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's great! My dad sank a hole in one in a tournament where you won a Buick. But then it started raining and rained the rest of the game out, so ge didn't get it. He talked a lot about that, lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.