Sunday, March 19, 2023

Reviewing a Rendezvous...in SPACE!

 This week I'm turning the dial on my time machine to 1967! NASA had just completed the Gemini program, which was the last stepping stone before Apollo. The idea of Gemini was to show how vehicles could rendezvous in space- a maneuver that would be needed in order to make it to the moon. Space fever was everywhere in the U.S.A., and toys were no exception. Actually, toys were pretty much the rule!

I was at an antique mall in Mesquite a few years ago when I spotted this-

This is a bagatelle game (some people call it pinball) made by the Wolverine Toy Company. Upon doing a tiny bit of research, I found that it appeared in the 1967 catalog. Wolverine made quality tin toys from the early 1900's to the 70s. "Rendezvous in Space" was their tribute to Gemini. Let's take a closer look...



Here's the Wolverine logo- and the only rules you get. "Black ball counts double."


Here is an interesting illustration of two Gemini capsules meeting up...


Here we have their version of a Titan II. Here is the real deal...


Pretty close, actually! 

The graphics are pretty nice overall!

The game originally came with a stand that fit into holes in the bottom. Mine was missing this part, but a bent clothes hanger works just as well...

As cool as I think this game is, I actually didn't buy it right away. The reason is that it was around 40 bucks! That seemed like a lot (it still does) but after I left the store, I kept thinking about it. I finally justified it by noting that it was in great condition, it combined my love for space and toys, and I had never seen one before. Sometimes you just gotta step up to the plate!

It's actually pretty fun to play with- for a couple of minutes at a time. But, it's more fun to look at. I'm glad I got it!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

8 comments:

  1. I have a [wood] bagatelle game, too, but it has zero graphics, unlike your cool one with zero-gravity graphics. You have cool toys, Stu—thank you for sharing.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I had never seen one before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool item. My brother and I had one that was similar, but didn't have the bell. It's in my mom's garage.....I need to go rescue it! I thought I had photographed it in the past, but I couldn't find the pic. However, I did find it on ebay:

    1960s Space Game

    Your game is also listed on ebay, and the seller wants $189.00 for it, so congratulations on finding a very good bargain!

    Rendezvous In Space Game

    - TokyoMagic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the graphics on the Space Game too!
      Wow, I don't know if that guy will ever get that amount for it, but I'll sell mine for $150.00! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, "asking" a particular price, and "getting" that price are two very different things!

      - TokyoMagic!

      Delete
    3. That was Stu!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.