Saturday, June 18, 2022

Waaaaaaaa-Hoooooooo!

 The item for this week is a blast from my personal past. First, a flashback (cue wavy lines in front of your eyes....)

In the 1960s in the great metropolis of Denison, Tx, the go-to party game was called Wa-Hoo! It was a simple marble board game that people said came from Arkansas. While that part might be in debate, the fact that the boards were decorated with really cool (probably no longer PC) Indian pictures is not. It was wonderful!

I can remember folks from the First Baptist Church sitting around playing at "fellowships." Times were simpler (and probably better) then. 

This is what Wiki has to say about the game...

Wahoo is a cross and circle board game similar to Parchisi that involves moving a set number of marbles around the board, trying to get them into the safety zone. The game is alleged to have originated in the Appalachian hills, but it is nearly identical to Mensch Ärgere Dich Nicht, a German board game originating in 1907. Most boards are used by four to six players. Wahoo has been a popular game for decades. Even today, custom-made boards proliferate on eBay and game manufacturer Parker Brothers has sold their own version of the game, under the title Aggravation, for decades.

Flash forward 40 years. In 2002 I wanted a Wa-Hoo board, but I couldn't find one. So, having just made a cribbage board, I decided to make my own! I had a hunk of 1/8 inch masonite on hand, and some pine trim. I drilled holes in half of the masonite and glued the other half to the bottom. Then I added the trim pieces and BAM! instant Wa-Hoo! Ok...I did do some simple "art" work too.... Here it is!


Proof of manufature date...


The marbles came from an online marble company (yes, they actually have those) and the die was in a junk drawer.

My wife and I have played hundreds of breakfast games on this board in the past twenty years or so. So, I guess it was worth the time and effort to make it!

Until next time, keep searching for (or making your own) treasure!


4 comments:

  1. I agree. Your native American art work is charming. Wonderful job .You are lucky to have a partner to play "breakfast games" with. Looks like a fun, simple game. Kudos to you Stu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DrGoat! We've played many a game on it and I just lost...

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.