Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Fly the Friendly Skies

 When you collect stuff sometimes you end up collecting stuff you don't collect. Or...something...

Anyway, a few years ago I was at a Salvation Army store and found this item tossed on top of some clothes racks. 


Yep, the 1972 Barbie's Friend Ship! Of course, this ship is a plane (just like "The Good Ship Lollypop"). And this plane is a playset. 

Now, I'm not usually interested in Barbie stuff (in fact, this is the only item I've ever bought for my collection) but there are a couple of cool items, such as the original sports car, that are worth getting...for the right price...which means cheap...very cheap.

Anyway, here are some more pics...


 I think they were going for a "carry on" look.


Interestingly, this was from one of those peaceful families. I guess the unpeaceful ones had the GI Joe stuff...
By the way, this shows I spent less than seven bucks for this. I could probably clean that grease pencil off, but I've never bothered.

When opened, it does look a little "airplane-ish." Note the verticle stabalizer is missing (the "up part" of the tail). From what I understand, it was removable so you could fold everything up. They are often lost. 


The really hip and happ'nin inside! I think it looks better from this side. It really oozes that early '70s vibe. Well, not really...that would be gross...


The galley. The vinyl used in late '60s and early '70s Mattel playsets never really fit together well. Hot wheels has this same issue. Still, it adds to the charm. By the way, this playset came with a food cart, food, and other items. I no gottie.


More galley stuff. I don't know how accurately this represents what really was in an airliner galley but it looks good to me.


And here we have some passenger compartment stuff. I'm pretty sure modern toys would never mention smoking, even to tell you not to.


The storage compartment is actually completely flat and won't store anything at all- exactly like on a real plane!


Captian Ken has a smile, although he's been feeling a bit flat lately...


The passenger compartment shows what I assume to be first class accommodations. I assume because I am WAY too cheap to have ever actually seen first class accommodations. 


Back in the galley, there are places to store things under the counter. 
I do not have those "things."


Please refer to the previous picture's caption.


And by reading the fine print we find that this has all been a big, thinly veiled advert for Untited Airlines. 
"A crummy commercial? Son of a *****!"

And there you have it. It's a fun slice of early '70s groovy life, even if the toy line isn't one I'm terribly interested in. I think it's pretty cool!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

9 comments:

  1. Twenty-eight years ago, I got into an argument with my second-level-up supervisor about this playset. She swore that it was a Delta Airlines airliner and would not budge. Thanks for vindicating my memories.

    The detailing is amazing, although I think real airliner galleys had an additional dimension to them.

    My best friend’s older sister (she was all of a year older and in first grade) had this and I thought it was just the coolest thing. I am not ashamed to admit we played with her and her Barbies. Truth be told, I also had a bit of a crush on her (what can I say? She was a California blonde and was willing to talk to me!).

    And then there was the day we burst into her room with my G.I. Joe helicopter, blades rotating and one of my Joes hanging from the winch hook and wearing the black turtleneck and watch cap and carrying the submachinegun from the “G.I. Joe on Spy Island” set. He rappelled through the cabin door, shot poor Ken and the pilot, kissed Barbie, and then was winched away to safety while Barbie presumably was forced to do a Karen Black impression. There was a cry of “Moooooom!!!” followed by swift justice meted out by a pregnant parent who just wanted a little peace and quiet. We were never allowed to play with the Barbies again. In fact, I’m not sure his sister ever talked to me again. Come to think of it, this incident may be why they moved away in the middle of the school year.

    Mrs. Chuck (who is also blonde; I”m seeing a pattern here) needs one of these for her collection.

    Thanks, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stu, that's a pretty neat item! You have Barbie's United Airlines Airplane, and I have an American Airlines "Stewardess" Barbie. The eras don't match though. According to ebay, mine is from 1961. My dad gave it to my mom about a year or so after they got married. They had met in Berlin, Germany, when he was in the army, and she was working for the army. She wore a dark blue uniform and hat, which was almost identical to Barbie's flight attendant outfit, so he bought it for her.

    Chuck, I hope you guys had a Charleton Heston doll that you could make say, "THE STEWARDESS IS FLYING THE AIRPLANE!!!!" and "Cliiiiiimb, baby, cliiiiiiimb!"

    Thanks for sharing this item, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Chuck now you just need that time machine to go back 28 years and show her this blog! So THERE!

    I literally had the Spy Island set with the raft and the hard plastic knit hat! I LOVE the idea of the commando raid! That girl was no good for you. I'm sure Mrs Chuck would have loved the raid!

    TokyoMagic! I literally cracked up with "Climb baby, CLIMB!"
    That's very cool about having your mom's Barbie- that your dad got her! I hope you have it displayed! Yes, she can fly on my plane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER saw this before, or I would've wanted it!

    I had the orange Barbie "motorhome" from around 1970. But NO airplane.

    I do have a Disneyland tourist Barbie doll (still in box) somewhere stored away. She will want to purchase a ticket to fly to Disneyland. I hope you have a pilot for your plane (and not a drawing of a pilot). Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^ The motorhome was orange, not the Barbie.

    —Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post has made my day before it even started. A friend of mine had this set when I was a kid and I wanted one SO BADLY! We did have a playscale RV for our dolls, but I think it was a knockoff brand because it didn't match any of the pictures of official Barbie vehicles I've seen online. We'd sometimes make it into a houseboat in the bathtub. The G.I. Joe hijacking is the cutest story I've heard in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I actually bought a Barbie Camper (in box) for my ex-wife since she went on and on about having one as a kid. I don't think she really appreciated it. Note I said "ex", lol! My keeper wife would like it, but she never had one, so nevermind...
    Sorry, I only have the drawing...

    I hadn't seen the plane either! Tbat is until The Salvation Army Store...

    Melissa, I'm sorry you never got one! You know, it's funny how many accessories for Barbie and GI Joe were made by different companies. I'm pretty sure that Barbie sportscar I was talking about wasn't Mattel, and Joe had a Jeep, Jet, and Heliocopter that were made by, I think, Irwin.
    Joe's chopper in Chuck's story would have been that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, most of our dolls weren't even Barbie-brand dolls; they were the hollow plastic ones you got for 79 cents at the discount store. As they fell apart we'd swap out the remaining limbs and heads until they looked like little brides of Frankenstein.

    Also, Captain Ken looks suspiciously like the Autopilot from Airplane 2. Maybe a deflated version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those dolls! They would crush really easily.
      Airplane is better than Citizen Kane in my world view.

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.