Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Land of Adventure!

 Last week we had a game that was produced before Disneyland actually existed, and that covered the whole park. This week's game was produced in 1956, the year AFTER the park opened! This enabled the game designers to get a better idea of what they were trying to show. 

There were actually games made of all of the lands and since my family visits usually start with a left turn into Adventureland, that's where we will start today. Here is the (slightly battered) box top!


As you can see, the artist got pretty close to the real Disneyland attraction. It's amazing how having something actually exist helps! By the way, if you want to see a cleaner version of the art work, the same picture is duplicated on the back of the game board.



Let's get a look at those rules! Here ya go!


I like the gameplay because you do what people have been doing for as long as the ride has existed- take pictures of the animals! In this case, you quite literally "take" them, from a pile of white cards. If they match one of your previously handed out pink cards you keep both. Once you have all three, sail like a maniac to the dock! Maybe it will help to visualize what I'm taking about if I show you the set up board. 


By the way, you can only take a picture if you land on a picture of a camera. Makes sense. An interesting detail is that the "boat" game pieces don't look like the Jungle Cruise boats. These tiny metal boats look like this:


I suspect they were actually made for a different game and repurposed for this one. The same goes for the spinner, which features a tall sailing ship. Of course, there would eventually be that type of ship at Disneyland, but it would be a few years. Here's a closeup of the spinner:


The condition of this game is somewhere around "pretty good, but not great" (my own grading system). However, it really doesn't matter because I got these games to play with my daughter, and they served that purpose well! 

A few years ago (after I had purchased mine), Parker Brothers re-released this game with all of the original art work. I don't know if the tokens are still tiny metal ships, but I doubt it. Anyway, I'm glad I have an original. It has much more character (important in a Disney game- pun intended).

So, once again, my definition of "treasure" comes not from the condition or value of the item, but from the memories it holds and how much it was enjoyed.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

5 comments:

  1. Another Disney game I never knew existed. BTW, I was at an antique mall over the weekend and stumbled on MORE Disney games that were new to me.

    I like this one - simple and easy, with a definite "tie" to the real Jungle Cruise. Everyone takes pictures on the Jungle Cruise. I spy a flaming-O, a/k/a a flamigno - back at GDB.

    I still have not tried playing the new Jungle Cruise game that I purchased last year. Stu, do you have that, and have you played it? If you don't have it, I can bring it over on game night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it, but I gave it to my daughter for Christmas! I should have bought two, lol! Her family said it's fun, so sure bring it on over!

      Delete
  2. We've always been a counter-clockwise, Tomorrowland-first family at the Magic Kingdom. But on my one visit to Disneyland, our group took the Adventureland-first route and it was just as good, and we were on the first Jungle Cruise excursion of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats probably because of the different gravitational pull of west coast vs east coast ;-)

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.