Saturday, February 12, 2022

Visiting Walt Disney World!

 After I posted last week's game, Major asked about others that I might have. I realized that I have the fodder for several posts sitting on my board game shelf, so, with Sue's encouragement, I will feature them for the next few weeks!

I told the good Major that all my other games were from Disneyland. It turns out that I lied. ...Ok, actually I just forgot. Here is my final (unless I remember another one) WDW game, "A Visit to Walt Disney World" by Milton Bradley!

This game actually came out before the Lakeside games. It was released just a year after the park opened; 1972. The idea is clearly to drum up enthusiasm for visiting the park, although very few attractions are actually represented. Of course, being as the goal is to visit every attraction in the park, more would make the game go longer than a typical kid's attention span. 

The board is made up of a semi-3D parkscape, that it actually pretty fun to look at. In fact, that's by far the best thing about the game, as game play is not exactly edge of your seat stuff. Here are some pictures of it: 






There are the instructions in case you are wondering. 

A couple of points- The Haunted Mansion is called The Haunted House, which is weird as the name had been "Haunted Mansion" for at least four years at this point. It also doesn't look like the Haunted Mansion, although it's closer to the Disneyland version than the WDW one. 

That red paper thing I'm holding is supposed to be a monorail. It sits on top of the "wall" that runs around the board. It doesn't do it well, and tends to fall off, injuring many passengers. Tragic, really.

The only other attraction is the teacups...ok, and maybe the train station, although it doesn't do anything in the game. 
The backdrop of Cindy's Castle with the fireworks is a nice touch, though.

All in all, it's a fairly interesting game board and a fairly snoozer game. Still, it's a nice addition to a Disney game collection. My example, purchased for the stately sum of five dollars, is in fair condition, having some torn box corners, and slight water staining on the box as well. But it's good enough for me!

So, even if it isn't perfect, or even that fun, it can still be treasure!

So keep looking for (any condition you like) treasure!

12 comments:

  1. The little cardboard monorail car is sooo cute! And I love the illustrations of the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts, as well as the Liberty Square and Fantasyland graphics on the backdrop. All very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those too! I like how they were able to put stuff that was WDW specific.

      Delete
  2. Another Disney game I’ve never seen before. The monorail looks a little drafty - but cute idea. Thanks for sharing another treasure - and what a bargain!

    Let’s have a game night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think a windshield might have come in handy!
      Sure! I'll bring the snacks!

      Delete
  3. It really does seem like the graphics were the only thing to recommend this game. I like the 3D "diorama" setup. Would it be that hard for them to actually make a fun and interesting playing experience too? I always assume that they have two or three basic game types and they just recycle them with different artwork. Call 60 minutes, we are going to destroy the board game industry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! It seems most are the "racing" type, but this one is more of the "wandering around" type.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Stu, did my comment from yesterday disappear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it did. Crud! I redid the way to leave comments to avoid that!

      Delete
  5. Stu, a little while ago I tried commenting from my laptop, but my comment did not appear on your blog—it disappeared (you’ll see I made a comment on GDB about that). Now, I’m trying from my cell...as a test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it looks like only my cell works with your blog.

    Take a look at what shopDisney.com is now selling:
    Just click HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, now the hyperlink won’t work, so here it is:

    https://www.shopdisney.com/walt-disney-world-game-by-milton-bradley-reproduction-400939963580.html?isProductSearch=1&plpPosition=1&searchType=regular

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, they probably read my blog! ;-)
    Now a whole new generation can play it and see how boring it is! All fluff and no...uh...stuff that's not fluff!
    I'm glad you figured out how to comment (although that's pretty weird)

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.