Sunday, December 12, 2021

A Tale of Two Trays

 This week I want to share a couple of Disney trays. They've been called TV trays or serving trays, but I think TV tray is probably closest. They don't have legs, but they can be placed carefully on your lap while watching TV.

The first tray is from 1954. It was a map of Disneyland! The only problem is that Disneyland was busy being orange groves at the time. There were concept maps, but absolutely nothing had been built. Therefore, the map trays were not exactly accurate. Here it is:


Some of the things that really stand out to me are the gazebo in town square (moved because it blocked the castle), a European street runs behind the east side of Main Street, the Moonliner looks a lot like a toothpick, and Tom Sawyer Island looks like it has manicured lawns. There are tons of other differences as well, but you get the idea. 

Still, it's a good looking tray. The graphics are nice (if not accurate) and there are plenty of fun details. It was just the thing to help excite folks about the future park, and it did! Now it excites collectors because it's pretty hard to come by, and darn near impossible at a reasonable price. 

But if you want  reasonable, we got you covered!

Flash forward about seven years and the park has been opened for six of them. The TV show that introduced  the park to the world was now featuring another innovation, color. 

The show changed it's name from Disneyland to The Wonderful World of Color. Even the style of animation had changed a little to more "mid-century." Here is the tray that was released in 1961:


As you can see, the Disney gang is grouped around the TV watching their friend Ludwig von Drake on The Wonderful World of Color and having a great time!

I really like this tray, and so did a lot of other folks.  There are a lot of them out there. And due to a big supply you can pick one up for about 25 bucks all in. Not bad!

In fact, I kind of like the second tray better than the first, which just goes to show you that money isn't the only goal in collecting.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

10 comments:

  1. Stu, I especially love the first tray!
    The Jr. Gorillas are going to want to see it -
    I’m looking forward to their comments,

    Is that a dent I see on the right turret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And you know...I think I see it!

      Delete
  2. Interesting that the first tray shows three trains circling the Park (two passenger trains and one freight train) but it actually opened with just two, and there was never more than one set of yellow passenger cars.

    These are really cool, Stu. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed that before, but you're right! Maybe they planned on three and came up short on funds?

      Delete
  3. I love the graphics on both of these trays. It looks like that DL map shows the original plans for the Mad Tea Party. The layout was supposed to be kind of an oval shape, and the tea cups would travel around figures of the Mad Hatter and March Hare, seated (or maybe standing) at a large table in the center.

    And that covered bridge to the right of the Castle is interesting. I wonder if it was going to have a tie-in to "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," or if it was just going to be a generic covered bridge?

    These are super neat items, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the teacups looked different, but I couldn't figure out what they were trying to show. That's very interesting about what the first version was going to be. As usual, I think that I might have liked that better.
      A Sleepy Hollow haunted bridge would be very cool, but I'm not sure what you could do with it. Maybe have quiet evil laughter from time to time?
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love the perspective on the Flight to the Moon building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of reminds me of a beetle attacking that skinny Moonliner!

      Delete
  5. Stu, here is a better view of that original Mad Tea Party design. I think there is a different version, which might have appeared in the very first DL "pictorial souvenir," but I'm not 100% positive about that.

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/a5/33/77a5331384eaaac62dd66bdddbe78810.jpg


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! It kind of reminds me of a Himalaya ride, but with spinning cups. I think it would make you a lot sicker. I do like the tea party in the middle.

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.