Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Takin' It To The Bank

On this edition of The Attic, we're going to look at the latest addition to my bank collection...a mint-in-box Callen Armored Truck Bank! I found this die cast bank on eBay and just followed it to see what it would go for. When it didn't even break twenty bucks (with shipping), I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Now, a lot of items in the attic are either things that are left over from my childhood, or things that I wanted as a kid. In this case, however, I had never seen this bank before. I DID recognize some items featured on the back of the box, though...

So, let's take a look, shall we?

These banks seem to have been made from the 1950's to the 1970's. This colorful box seems very 1970's to me. 

Although I had not seen this bank, I did own a few Cap Gernades growing up, and I think my cousin had the Pirate Cannon. The Pirate Chest looks like one in my collection, but it's actually the Callen version of that bank and mine isn't. I've never seen the Cash Box.

Here it is in all its die cast glory! It measures about 5 inches by 2 and a half inches by 2 and a half inches. 

The bank features a "hidden panel" that opens without a key to get your treasure out. In reality, the panel isn't very "hidden" since you can clearly see it on the back of the armored car. The clanking it makes when you pick the car up just makes even more sure that you don't miss it!

The panel might not be hidden, but there IS a trick to getting it open. The rear axel keeps it closed. Therefore, you have to pull a rubber wheel off...

...pull the axel to the side...

...and open it up!
So there you have it! It now sits on the piano with my other banks. I haven't fed it a penny yet, but as soon as I have one, I will!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.