Monday, April 17, 2017

A Reminder of Musical History

I'm posting a quick one this week. Here's the picture:


It's a ticket stub from June 16, 1983. Other than the name of the club (Tango) there is really no other info to gather from it. Therefore, I shall tell a story...

It was early on the night of June 16 on lower Greenville Ave. in Dallas, Tx. My friend, Walter Martin, and I were walking down the street looking for some entertainment. Lower Greenville often had good bands, so we were just winging it to see what we could find.

As we walked up to Tango (also known as "Six Frogs Over Texas," even though there were really only four on the roof) Walter pointed out the sign and said "We could check this guy out. I hear he's pretty good." It was an album release party for his first album, so it seemed promising. Therefore, we plunked down our five buck each and went inside...

The only way to really see was to go upstairs and look down on the stage a few feet below. There we saw a rumpled young man in a floppy leather hat tearing up a Fender Strat like we had never seen.

We had just happened in on Stevie Ray Vaughan's album release party for "Texas Flood!"

He was incredible. He played behind his back. He played with his boot. He played with more passion and feeling than I had ever seen before. And we were there in the middle of it all. Just by chance.

I would see him a few more times before he passed away a few years later, but this show was the best. He was a rising star, and he was on fire!

Now, I have this unmarked unassuming little stub to remind me of that night. Treasure, indeed!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good friend Royce Frankum called me up and reminded me of what "SUAD" means! It stands for "Shut Up And Dance!" Talk about a blast from the past! Thanks Royce!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.