Tuesday, September 24, 2024

A Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Find!

 Hello attic explorers! This week I'm going to feature a recent estate sale find that just makes me happy! A 1963 pressing of "All the Songs from Walt Disney's Uncle Remus!" Here it is!






We found this gem at a sale that had quite a few albums- all of which were in mint condition! It's extremely rare to find children's records in good shape due to the fact that children don't typically take good care of their records. To compound the problem, even if they did know how to handle records, children's record players were typically murder on vinyl. Somehow this album survived, though. 

And, really, anything from Song of the South can be considered a survivor now. Bob Iger let it be known early in his reign that SotS would NOT be tolerated. Now, one can question the validity of his reasoning, but you can't question the results of his campaign. All signs of the movie have been scrubbed from the parks, and, indeed, the company.

That's why owning this mint copy of contraband is all the more satisfying. With it, I can still hear Academy Award winner James Baskett's rendition of the Academy Award winning song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da," and that just cheers me up a little. Take THAT Iger!

But what about this particular pressing? Well, I did a little research (very little, you know me) and found out that it's actually a re-release of the 1956 soundtrack album with the instrumental tracks removed. It's also generally regarded as the more popular of the albums, and it sells for around 35 to 45 dollars now. Considering I paid six, I think I made a good purchase (although I thought six was a bit high at the time- I just got lucky)

And what about the other albums at the sale? Well there weren't any other Disney albums, but my wife was able to stock up on about 15 discs from Peter Paul and Mary, The Mamas and the Papas, The Loving Spoonfull, Blood Sweat and Tears, etc. We didn't pay six each for them, though. We went back a day later and caught the half-off sale! So everyone was happy!

And that's all for this week! If you'll excuse me, I have to listen to this bluebird on my shoulder and get back to my zip-a-dee-doo-da day!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. What a rare, and fortunate find! And in excellent condition. It's doubly strange that Disney has scrubbed this movie into extinction, given that "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is probably in the top three of iconic Disney songs; you hear it everywhere!

    I think the movie can still be seen on YouTube? Reading the back of the album cover, I see that Bobby Driscoll was in Song of the South. He also supplied the voice of Peter Pan.

    You got lucky with this one, Stu! Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, such is the "wisdom" of Iger, I suppose.
      I actually have a copy of the movie on DVD. I'm not sure if it's from overseas (where Iger seems to be fine with it existing) or a bootleg. I might research it and do a post on it!
      Yes, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah is one of the happiest and most iconic Disney tunes, and I have a feeling that it will outlast Bob Iger.

      Delete
  2. Keep "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" alive! It's a happy song....and we need more "happy" in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.