Monday, March 11, 2024

Banked Messages

 Today I have two items (one of which I was sure I had shared before, but apparently not) that share a theme. Let's jump right in, shall we?


I picked this mailbox bank up at an estate sale a few weeks ago. This is one of those things that a lot of kids had when I was growing up, but that you never see any more. I also picked up some Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels cars and by the dates on those (late 60s), I know this kid was about my age.

Here's how big it is...


And the back....


And a side...


And the bottom...


As with most banks, this didn't come with a key, and it was actually a little harder to pick than most of my bank purchases. However, with the help of a bent binder clip and some plyers I was able to pop it open without damaging it!

This is what I saw when I got the door off...


The "Letters" slot is for coins, and they fall into the top compartment. The top door is for paper money, which falls down below the coins.


In mine was....a 1978 penny and a note! This one reads, "Merry Christmas- We love you Joan & David." I'll never know who Joan and David are, but I'll keep the note (and penny) with the bank anyway. 


Next, we have a bank that I picked up at an estate sale a few years ago...


This is a classic combination safe bank.

Here's the size...


So, it's almost exactly the same size as the mailbox (if you allow for the mailbox legs)

Here is a side...


And the bottom...


And the top...


So we know right away that Scott owned this bank! I remember those funky name stickers from the late 60s and early 70s. 

Here's what was inside!


Hmmmm....a note and a hide-a-key without a top? 

Yep, but this note is quite a bit more exciting than the holiday wishes we got in the last bank. This was has....true love (cue sappy music and little hearts floating about). Scott (whoever he is) would probably be mortified if we read it, but he'll very likely never know, so why not?

Here ya go!


In case you need it translated, it reads:

     My first girlfriend was Seaga (?) and I loved her very much and I first kissed her on March 27, 1974 Wednesday. Bye.

Actually, that's pretty sweet. If anyone has a better translation of her name, I'm open to it. 

What ever happened to Scott and Seaga (?) ? Probably after that first kiss they went their separate ways. But we don't know that, of course. They could have gotten married and opened an auto parts store in East Dallas and then retired to the Caribbean, at which point they had an estate sale (because who needs a bunch of junk in the caribbean?).  Or not. 

So, like the mailbox, I'll keep the note with the safe. It just seems right, somehow.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

10 comments:

  1. I'm wondering how the mailman could even spot that tiny mailbox sitting on the curb. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know Joan & David, but I do know they are very cheap. I'm going by what is in the bank. Though there could've been hundreds more, but I doubt it.

    My guess is that Scott's girlfriend's name was/is "Seagande." Not a pretty name, but she was obviously loved and pretty enough to deserve a kiss. I hope her name didn't translate to mean "seaweed soufflé" or something. Some parents name their kids really awful names.

    Thank you for sharing these fun treasures, Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently that's a "givaway" bank from a finacial institution, so you may have something there!

      "Seagande" huh? Kind of hard to work into a love poem! I think I would have just called her "Allie"...for no real reason.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Stu, these are really cool banks! I do remember seeing ones like the "combination safe" when I was a kid, but I don't remember ever seeing the mini mail box! I love that they both had messages in them. It's a good thing the messages didn't say, "Please help me, I'm being held hostage in a "toy bank" factory!"

    - TokyoMagic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh! Then we would have had to mobilize the Atticites' Super Rescue Sqad!!!
      (I can't believe all the major comic books turned that idea down...)

      Delete
  4. I used to have a little collection of novelty banks - in fact I still have a few of those, but others are long-gone. I like the little mailbox, especially the decal that makes it look official. I have tried to pick the locks of the banks that are missing their key, but I guess I have no facility for such things. For all I know they are full of paper messages!

    The little safe is cool too, I have a bank made out of an antique P.O. box, it has a simple combination to open it, I’m amazed I haven’t forgotten it yet. Whoa, that “Scott” sticker looks exactly like the kind that I used to have, they were day-glo and cool. It was hard to find stickers with "Major Pepperidge" on them, but I managed it.

    Seaga, now that’s a name. I never thought to write down an account of my romantic exploits, but now I’m going to do it. Will I exaggerate at all? Only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Major!
    The bank collection started out as a "side hobby" for when stuff was scarce in my other categories, but now I've got quite a few (or more than a couple, anyway). My Great White Whale is the Disneyland '59 bank that features the Matterhorn, Monorail and sub lagoon. They're like hen's teeth, though!

    In order to pick them you need fancy yourself as a bit of a master safe cracker. The reason that helps is that it masks the fact that you're being beaten by a lock meant to keep out a nine year old.

    I tape the combinations to the bottom of my safe banks. Don't tell anyone!

    Yeah, I thought "Stuart" was tough to come by, but you have it much worse! If only we had an easy name like "David" or something...

    "The Many Romances of Major Pepperidge" has best seller written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that 1978 penny is the equivalent of a whole nickel in today's money! Also, Barbie and Ken are headed over to your house to commit safecracking and mail fraud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's true!
      But I think Barbie and Ken made enough off of their movie to give up their lives of crime...I hope!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.