Sunday, September 10, 2023

Very Little Box of Very Little Mystery

 A couple of weeks ago Major P. mentioned that he has a puzzle box bank. It sounded really neat. Actually, much neater than what I'm about to share with you today, but this is all I have, so here we go!

A few years ago I picked up this tiny box at a local antique mall.


It fits easily in one hand. However, it's clearly a puzzle box.


The laminate on the top is very well done, actually.


This is the side.


And the end...
So it's very well made. But who made it? And where?


Ah, one mystery solved simply by turning the box over. It seems that Marilyn Ramos from Cuba made it! She even includes her address and phone number! (I've never looked her up, however)


And now- to the "puzzle" part. How do we open it? Well, step one is to slide this little end panel over a touch...


And step two is to slide open the top. That's it! Two steps and you're in! As I said in the title, very little mystery here, folks!


Inside I found some things that I had actually forgotten about...


Two buffalo nickles. I don't know the years because the dates are rubbed off on both of them.


And six Indian Head pennies!  Those dates are: 1906, 1891, 1907, 1888, 1897, and1902.

Here is a better look at the mechanism that locks the box.

And that's it! That's all there is to it! However, it's still a fun piece that had a forgotten bonus or two in it, so I'll keep it around.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. I love puzzle boxes! They always make me think of the second king's aria from Amahl and the Night Visitors. "This is my box, this is my box, I never travel without my box. In the first drawer I keep my magic stones." This one is particularly nice, especially the crazy quilt lid. And the maker's signature is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I bought it because it reminded me of the Haunted Mansion Secret Panel Chest, but now I appreciate it for what it is!

      Delete
  2. This is a fun puzzle box, Stu. Having the maker's name and info inside is a nice extra-touch. Am I reading it correctly that you have box #95 out of 95? I can't quite read those 3 letters(?) at the start of that last line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue!
      I never noticed that before, but I think you're right!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.