Monday, February 13, 2023

The House at 1313 Mockingbird Lane

Years ago I had the idea of building a train layout that would feature a "haunted" section. "Haunted Heights" would be a collection of ghostly houses all in 1/87 "HO" scale. Although that layout is still in my imagination, I have collected buildings for it over the years. I have the Addams Family house, for example. Of course when Moebius came out with the Munsters house, I had to have it!

The original house never really existed, of course, being a facade on the Universal backlot. It was first built for the movie "So Goes My Love" in 1946 and has been in about 20 different movies and tv shows since then. Now all that really exists from the original structure is apparently a little of the bottom floor and basic framing. 

Moebius modeled the house in all it's Munsters glory, however. (It's interesting to note that in some of the Munsters remakes they also used a model because the original set was so altered). It's not an easy build as it is recommended for folks 15 and older. Here it is!


Here is the box. They did a nice job on the graphics, I think.


This kit has parts. Lots of parts. I find it interesting that they were able to design a whole house since the original set was just the front facade. They did a really good job.







They even included window coverings. Nice touch!


Here are the building instructions...





The painting instructions are interesting in that they point out that the house was never filmed in color in the original series. This gives the builder a lot off leeway in their color choices. It even says you can paint it in grays to replicate the tv show.

By the way, there is a 1313 Mockingbird Lane here in Dallas. It's decidedly less interesting...

However, if you want to see a pretty close approximation to the original house that actually has an interior, may I suggest this place in Waxahachie, Texas.


I haven't been there, but apparently it's an almost perfect duplicate- outside and inside! (They even have Spot under the stairs that open up)

So there you have it! Hopefully one day I'll build it and then build that train layout. If I do, I'll put in on here for you guys to see!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

6 comments:

  1. Stu, you really do need to retire, ASAP. All these projects are waiting for you...and I’d like to see this one completed. What will the dimensions be, for this one?

    I always loved watching the Munsters...thanks for including the interesting house info.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Hopefully that will be soon!
      The house stands about six inches tall, which is pretty small- but it's nice that they made it to fit most model train layouts! By the way, the Addams Family house also says it's 1/87 scale, but I think it might be a little larger than that. I think since it's modeled off of a painting (the only house used for the show) the scale might be a little off. Hopefully I'll get the layout done in a year or two!

      Delete
  2. Wow, another cool model! Was this a reissue of a vintage model by Aurora, Revell, or some other company from which Moebius purchased the original molds? If so, I love it that these old models are resurfacing!

    - TokyoMagic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, while I know that the Addams Family House is a re-release of the Aurora kit, I think this is a Moebius original. (I could be wrong, but unless my Google skills are lacking today, I'm not) By the way, while researching that, I found out that Polar-Lights has released The Addams Family House AGAIN, but this time as the "Old Victorian House." The weird thing is that the instructions no longer say how to hook up the "roaming ghosts" inside the house. I don't know what that would have to do with the licensing agreement, so they must have just made a mistake on the instructions. Weird...

      Delete
  3. I was more of an Addams Family kid, but I always had a soft spot for Herman Munster because I had a great-uncle who could have doubled for Fred Gwynne. (And another with a starling resemblance to H.P. Lovecraft, but that's neither here nor there nor in an ancient city on the ocean floor.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, leaned toward the Addam's brand of mania, but the Munsters was a wholesome alternative! My dad's sense of humor was close to Herman's, though.
      By the way, these are old, but still very funny...
      https://youtu.be/-DsgZ4JXXB8

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.