Monday, February 27, 2023

King of the Wild Pantry

 This week's item is not that rare, or in particularly good condition, but it shows just what a variety of things can be found digging through thrift stores and flea markets.

In 1956, Peter Pan Peanut Butter had a mail in offer to get a recording of Disney's hottest show's theme- Davie Crockett! Apparently it was a huge success, because they are pretty easy to find. Here's the one I found at a local "antique mall" (flea market).



Apparently the young original owner wasn't really interested in "Green Grow the Lilacs," since "The Ballad of Davie Crocket" is marked as the "Good One." Unfortunately, they played the heck out of the "Good One" because they put some pretty deep scratches in that side. 

The record is about 10 inches in diameter and made of that heavy not-unbreakable material records from the 50s were made of. Although I have the system to play it, I never have out of fear of what those scratches would do to my needle. 

As I said, these are not too hard to find and many of them still have their mailing envelope. Still, mine is fine for displaying on my shelf, a reminder of a simpler time!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

7 comments:

  1. We had one of those way back when. It got played a lot. We also had a 45 version of the Zorro theme song, at least that's what I seem to remember. The Swamp Fox also comes to mind, but I don't remember having a record to go with it.
    Thanks stu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that you had them as a kid! Maybe I should break down and play mine...

      Delete
  2. Disney has certainly got their money's worth from that song over the years. They're STILL using it in the parks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu, you found a fun treasure! And from Peter Pan Peanut Butter (say that 3 times real fast), which I see is still around.

    I never had that record but, speaking of deep scratches, I do remember that when one of my records "skipped," I'd push the needle down hard to make a new deep groove so that it wouldn't skip anymore. It worked. ;o)

    Looking forward to seeing more treasures....

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! By the way, I tried playing it and it turns out its a 78 speed. I only have 33 and 45 so that was some slooooooow singing!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.