Sunday, November 20, 2022

The Master of Views

 Sometimes when you collect things, you get other things that you don't collect, but maybe you do because now you sure gotta lot of that stuff that you don't collect...but you kinda do...

Now if that's clear, let's proceed.

There is something about a View Master that's magic. I don't mean it works by magic- I understand how the slightly different views create the illusion of depth. I mean those crisp, clear 3D images that instantly spur memories of childhood wonder. That, my friend, is magic! And if I see a Disneyland or Walt Disney World- I snatch it up!

However, in purchasing Disney park View Master reels, I often get unrelated reels in the mix. Some are kind of related, but not what I was after- but still they're pretty cool! So here is a selection of Disney movie reels that I just happen to have... By the way, I tried to figure out how old these are, and because the "gaf" is lower case, these are from the late 60s to the early 70s. The perfect timing for the attic! So here we go!


Let's start with this reel. You couldn't buy it. It came with your brand new grey plastic View Master! The shows on here are great! Granted, some I've never heard of. But Daktari? Oh yeah!


The first movie we have is Mary Poppins!


Each packet comes with three reels and a story book. Here is the back...


One of my favorite Disney movies! Interestingly, they would use cut outs of animation to create 3D images of something that was never in 3D to begin with!


The back...


And now Bedknobs and Broomsticks. These reels use a combination of real and animated pictures, just like the movie.


And the write up on the back...


The Bambi reel is a little different. It actually looks like they used clay figures to recreate scenes from the movie. I think. I couldn't find my View Master to see for sure!


Again, the write up...


Donald Duck is done the same way. It must have been expensive and time consuming to construct the figures and backgrounds 


Back.


Peter Pan follows the same formula. The images are really nice!


Back.


With The Aristocats, we're back to cut out animation cells. I wonder how they decided which reels would get which treatment.


The back.


Ok, I cheated. This isn't Disney. However, I really love Snoopy and the Red Baron, and it's my blog. So there. Snoopy is real figures again, by the way...


Once again- the back.

So there you go. I tried to include pictures of the images on the reels, but failed completely. Sorry!

Anyway, I have a lot of other reels and shows as varied as Bonanza and Lassie, but I wanted to stick to a theme. Hopefully I've added the memories of 3D magic to a few folks!

Happy Thanksgiving! Keep searching for treasure!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Stu! I hope you're feeling better...it's good to have you back.

    I never had a View Master, but I would sure love to own one now and see the Aristocats and 101 Dalmatians. A couple of my favorites. Especially if Cruella De Vil appears...she's one of my favorite Disney cartoon characters.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your cool toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue!
    Trying to come up with something now, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.