Sunday, August 21, 2022

Toys of Adult Sized Slot Cars...From Disney!

 Ok, that title was actually a little confusing to even type, lol! If I were to ask you what is currently the fastest ride at Walt Disney World, you might not come up with Test Track at Epcot, but it is. It clocks in at 64.9 mph officially, which is close enough to 65 to earn you that 10mph over 55 ticket. If there were cops shooting radar on the ride... There is radar...just no cops. 

The ride is an elaborate life sized slot car set, so if you've ever wondered what it's like to ride in those little toy cars, you can find out! I've ridden it a couple of times and although I'm not a huge fan of coasters, this ride doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I picked this little item up on my trip in 2000 in the gift shop that the ride empties into (like any self respecting Disney attraction) It's a 6 1/2 inch long, die cast, Test Track vehicle! Here is is!

I kept the package because it displayed well.
The end flaps are both the same.
The back shows that I forked out twenty bucks for it. I'm sure it would be at least twice that now!
Free from the box! The detailing is pretty neat on it. And it has a good amount of weight to it.
A side view. Yes, the cars looked just like this when I rode them.
What you see when you're waiting to start your journey. 

Or actually, what you would see up until 2012. You see at that point, they revamped the ride to be less of a physical test facility, and more of a cyber world inspired by TRON. Is it better? I don't really know. You see, the one time I was about to ride the new version, it broke down. We got Fastpasses good for whenever it came back up...but we never used them. Oh well. 

Anyway, the cars are now painted blue and white and have fewer graphics. I think I like my version better. Maybe someday I'll go back and get the new version...or, considering the way things are going at Walt Disney World, maybe not. 

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you don't see too many toys that are accurate representations of ride vehicles! Sure, there are "collector's toys", but this one seems less fancy and more of an off-the-shelf item, if you know what I mean. As is often the case, I wish I could have seen EPCOT as it was in the beginning. I know a lot of people knocked it for being "boring", or "un-Disney", but it is fascinating to me now. Thanks for sharing your toy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely "off the shelf" of the gift shop. Just sitting on a display with a bunch of other ones and not behind glass like the "collectors items."
      It's interesting that people screamed about Test Track replacing World of Motion (which I loved), but now people want the original Test Track back. I guess nostalgia always has a stronger appeal that whatever the "new shiny thing" is.

      Delete
  2. All I can say is wow. That is cool. Wish they had similar "toys" of other ride vehicles. I'm thinking an Alice caterpillar. I know they did an Autopia car at one time, but nothing else. i could find.
    Great gift shop find. DrG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Doom Buggy too, but this is more accurate. I think the Alice caterpillar would be really cool! I like how they look like they're really too good to be hauling people through the ride, lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.