Sunday, August 14, 2022

Fun in Resin Mold Land!

 Hey gang! 

Last week we looked at restoring a Hot Wheels because...well...it really needed it.

This week we're going to look at three AFX slot cars from the 70s that also needed a little help. I had two of them as a kid, and I found one mixed in with some track I bought years ago at a thrift store. All three were helped out by a guy named Dan Lanyon that I met on a slot car site on Facebook. 

You see, Dan is a talented guy. A talented guy with the skill of making molds of original parts! All of these cars was missing their grilles (no, not flashy gold teeth- their real grilles). Now these aren't parts that you can just do a couple of searches on the ol' Google and find. Oh no, to get these parts you need...a professional.

Let's take a look at each car's "before" picture, shall we? Here we go!

This old Woody is nice...but incomplete. It's one of my childhood cars.
The same with this Deuce Coupe. Also from when I was a kid, by the way.
The Nomad was found in the thrift store box...but it looks like it has a pretty bad overbite!

Enter Dan. Since he has the original parts, he can create a mold exactly like the original! A little resin in the mold (and a lot of patience, I'm sure...) and Presto! 

Hey, the Woody has headlights!

As does the 32 Ford!

And the Nomad has had some serious dental work!

So there you have it! It takes a lot of skill to cast parts, especially this small! Great job!

I'd like to send out a special thanks to Dan for restoring a couple from my childhood, and a really cool junk box find!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. Stu, that’s really cool how Dan restores the cars - like new! I bet he keeps busy with work/requests. It would be interesting to see photos of his work in progress.

    —Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crud, what a difference one little part can make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! As soon as I found him I knew I needed him to bring the cars back!

      Delete
  3. Very true! He tends to get backed up. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of him making parts. And since he's in Canada and I'm in Texas I can't stop over to snap any, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.