Sunday, April 24, 2022

Come Out To Socialize

 Well, I have run out of vintage Disneyland games, but a comment from Melissa reminded me that I'm not quite finished. You see, she suggested a Disneyland version of Clue (which I think is brilliant). Now even though that might not exist, I do have this Clue...


Yes, the tin box version of Haunted Mansion Clue! I have had it for quite a while and have played it many times. Still, I thought you might not have seen it in any detail (and I needed a subject for a post), so here goes!


Each side of the tin has a different character. Of course we start with the Big Cheese...


Next we have the Bride. Notice that this is NOT the silly Constance who has now rudely invaded the Mansion. This is our beloved Beating Heart Bride.


Minnie is hanging out on the side opposite of Mickey.


And the Mariner is opposite the Bride.


The bottom of the tin shows the board and game pieces.


Haunted Mansion appropriate instructions


The back of the instructions features these disreputable fellows.


Here is the actual game board. It is double fold type (folds into 1/4 its size) that I really don't care for. The board never really wants to stay completely flat. Still, it has nice graphics and its kind of neat to see how they used the actual Mansion areas.


The tin has a double tray. This is the top tray.


And this is the bottom tray...


This is a very quick setup of my board. I like how the solution is held in a "Madame Leora's Reading" folder. I suppose this is as good a time as any to point out that in this version, there is no murder (except possibly in the dark pasts of the ghosts). You are trying to figure out which ghost scared who in what room. That's not really as fun as solving a murder, in my opinion, but it will have to do.


These are examples of the game cards.


And these are the tokens. They are made of metal, and are what I consider to be "sorta 3D." They are very thin, but have fronts and backs with slightly raised details.


Ah, yes...the ghosts! As you can see, we have the Opera Singer, the Mariner, the Bride, and the three Hitchhiking Ghosts. They are supposed to glow in the dark, but they only barely do. 

Game play is pretty fun, mainly because you can pretend that you are walking around the Mansion. This game is still being produced (I think) so getting one isn't difficult at all! There is also a Haunted Mansion Game of Life (which I find ironic), but I don't have it and have never seriously looked at it, so I can't speak to how good it is.

Well, there you go. I think I've gone through ALL of my Disneyland and Walt Disney World games! I think I'll lay off of board games for a while, although in September or so, I might start a new series of spoooooooky games! I have a ton!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!


7 comments:

  1. I guess they could call it The Game of Afterlife. Although Constance has been there for a while, I think the classic Beating Heart Bride is ore iconic, and she'll be remembered for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Beating Heart was creepy and mysterious. Constance is...well...a little campy, really. I'm not sure why current Imagineers feel the need to explain everything and give every ghost a backstory. The mystery is kaput, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Since you had "Monorail Game" - Version One, I figured there would be a version two that would blow my mind. So, IS there another version? Maybe more than one more? I'm with Melissa, I prefer the "Beating Heart Bride" over Constance any day.

    It's so odd about how they don't get that NOT knowing all the answers is what makes the Haunted Mansion so much fun to theorize and speculate about. Sometimes Disney folks will claim that the secret to their attractions is "story", and I disagree. Their best rides had no story, just a series of scenes that may allowed folks to connect the dots themselves. The "crackpot theories" were often the most fun!

    Meanwhile, I love your "Clue" game, anything Haunted Mansion related is aces in my book. I only have a few HM collectibles, because they tend to be so expensive. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, just when you think Blogger can't get any weirder, it makes everyone anon. Wonderful. This is Stu.
      Anyway, Hi Major!
      Unfortunately I just know of the two releases of the Monorail Game. A new one would be cool, though!
      Yeah, they had it perfect...and then they just HAD to change it.story is extremely overrated. I think there's more art in getting your point across without a story. Oh well.
      I've collected most of my Mansion stuff a little bit at a time, so it doesn't seem so expensive. Or that's what I tell the wife...

      Delete
  4. Oops, sorry, the previous comment is from Major Pepperidge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...what makes the Haunted Mansion so much fun to theorize and speculate about

    Imagineers don't realize
    Explaining things might be unwise;
    Grim grinning ghosts are fun to theorize!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.