Sunday, March 13, 2022

King of the Wild Frontier!

 Well, we've spent enough time in both Adventurelands, and it's time to move on to the great frontier. That's right: Walt Disney's Frontierland Game! Here are some pics of it:

I like the artwork on the box. This game was put out in 1956 just like the last one.

Again, the box top art is repeated on the back of the gameboard.

Here we have the gameboard, and a lot more great artwork. This game was NOT rereleased with the others for Disneyland's 50th anniversary. I think the reason is that the goal of the game is rather non-PC. You see, you have to go out and capture an Indian and bring him back to the fort. Yeah, that doesn't fly today, I'm afraid.

The playing pieces are metal horse and rider guys. The blue horse took off and left his base behind.

The spinner is pretty big and specific to this game. They pulled out all the stops on this one!

If you thought I was kidding about that "catching an Indian" thing, here are the instructions.


I included this picture because I even like the art on the side of the box!

So there you go! I played this game with my daughter and it was fun. We have Indian heritage, so it's ok. ;-) All in all, this game is a winner that we probably won't see again.

So until next time, keep searching for Indians...er...I mean treasure!


8 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. In chess we capture a king, so I say we can capture an Indian. Especially when we’re taking the Indian to Disneyland’s Frontierland to have a day of fun. What do you think?

    I see the makers of this game remembered to include some attacking ducks.

    Another fun game I have never seen nor played before. I’m beginning to think that I must’ve lived under a rock or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have a point there...Hmmm.
    I even considered changing it to you're finding an Indian scout and bringing him back to the fort, but that was pretty lame.

    Ducks. Why did it have to be ducks?

    Don't fret, Sue. Until I was an adult (and eBay came along) I didn't know about these either! Maybe THEY were hidden under rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that artwork is really something! And you're right, they really did splurge on the production values here. The color work alone is pretty special. They probably could have reissued it with an "Outlaw" substituted for the "Indian." But as often as not it's better to just leave the can of worms unopened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true on the worms. They're almost as bad as ducks!

      Delete
    2. Instead of a duck ruckus, you get a worm skirmish.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Stu (and Melissa) - check out TokyoMagic’s new post - a Disneyland game. Very creative, and too hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you meant a board game! MUCH too hard, lol, but I'll try it!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.