Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Pistol Packin' Pampers

 Ok...they aren't really Pampers. But my item for this week IS related. This is what I have:


That "gold plated" shootin' iron is only about 2 and a half inches long. The holster is made out of real leather, though. So what is the tie in? 
This!

Yep! It came on a pair of Diaper Jeans!

Diaper Jeans were invented by Martha Treadway in the early 1950's, and in 1957 they opened a factory in my home town of Denison, Texas. What could be more Texan than jean diapers with a six gun? Not much. 

I found the ad on the ol' interwebs. I also found an example. Here they are:


As you can see, the holster was attatched with a brad to the jeans, and the loop on the gun went through a loop on the jeans. It would make it pretty tough to fast draw, but since most of the hombres were struggling to walk, it probably wasn't a big issue.

Diaper Jeans were made into the 1960s, so they and I overlap. I never had any, though. I found the gun in a little antique shop. They didn't know the history of it, and I went ahead and bought it for a couple of bucks.

I think it's pretty neat, in a weird way. It certainly speaks to the western heritage of Denison, and to the cowboy craze that swept the country in the 50s. Now, I'm sure someone would get all bent out of shape about it, but back then everyone knew it was just good fun. 

They haven't made them in quite a while, so if you want your baby packing heat, you'll have to buy a vintage pair. But, my baby girl is 31 so I just keep it on the mantle where it's nice and safe!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

8 comments:

  1. DIAPER JEANS!! Now there's an odd thing. Why not make larger versions for adults?

    I do like that little pistol and holster, I could use one for one of my "Stuff From the Box" posts.

    It really is amazing just how incredibly pervasive the love for westerns was in the U.S. for decades, and then, with some exceptions of course, they faded. I wonder if the superhero genre will experience something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kind of hope the superhero craze fades. I'm just enough of a grumpy old man to be really not impressed with it all. "Let's see, you're "super" because you have these magical powers no one else has." Meh.
      I think the space race bumped off the cowboys. It's a shame, but I do love space stuff, so no real harm done!

      Delete
  2. You know, I just realised that my holster doesn't have a hole for the brad. It could be one that never got attatched to the jeans. I did get it in the same town that the factory was in, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diaper Jeans! I love ‘em! I never heard of ‘em.

    During my diaper days (1960-1962 or so), we were still wearing bulky cloth diapers with big safety pins (with the waterproof plastic “underwear” over, if I remember correctly). That means these “jeans” probably went over all that.

    I think disposable diapers with the jean pattern on the outside would be even better—just slip one on and be on your merry way, partner. Quick and easy,

    Fun stuff, Stu! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right, Sue. It would have been terribly bulky!
    I like your idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun thing.

    You are right about the Western Craze, I had a pair of chrome cap pistols, and cowboy boots too.

    I remember Dad bought a tiny little siz-shooter pistol at Knotts, not more than a couple inches long, in a nice leather holster. No idea where that went.

    Thanks for a fun post, Stu.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Stu! I just tried posting on your new post about Quisp...blogger won’t let me post. I tried via laptop computer and cell. I keep getting “blogger refused to connect.” ?? I haven’t had problems posting on other blogs today... I’ll try back another time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird! Major could comment. Maybe try again?

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.