Sunday, July 4, 2021

Mars Attacks!


 When people find out that you're a collector, they sometimes just give stuff to you! Really! Case in point: this attractive fellow from the 1996 release Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks! was a Tim Burton movie based on a trading cards. I saw it when it first came out, and I have to admit that I found it...different. It's s pretty dark comedy and satirical send up of 1950s sci-fi B movies. Upon second viewing, I found it pretty funny (especially Tom Jones).

When it came out, the market was flooded with toys and collectibles. The movie didn't do quite as well as they hoped, and the collectibles flew back to Mars pretty quickly. Except for a few. Like this guy!

A friend in my rocket club gifted him to me a few years ago. Since it was still in the blister pack, I just kept him there. He has stood on my bookcase, plotting the destruction of the word, ever since. 

Of course this begs some questions. For example, what did his button do before the batteries died? Exactly what does a Chaos Ray do? (it "shoots" apparently). If I open him and put fresh batteries in him, will I accidently bring about the end of the world? That would be a bummer. 

Well, we'll never know, because I'm not going to risk it! He can go right back on my shelf and brood all by himself. The world is safe! Yay!

As he would say, "ACK, ACK, ACK, ACK, ACK!"*


*"Keep searching for treasure!"


4 comments:

  1. Mars Attacks had some of the coolest toys! I had several variations on the ray guns, each of which had squirming, light-up brains inside them. I had some of the flying saucers (which shot projectiles) and other figures as well. Sadly, at one point I realized that my closets were full of toys and I had no room for other stuff, so I sold them on eBay (and gave some as stocking stuffers). I miss them!

    Those dead batteries are always a bummer - the toy stops working, and often the battery leaks corrosive gunk.

    BTW, I liked the movie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Major!
      I actually had a saucer too (and might still...somewhere) but I misplaced the missiles and the ekectronics went on the fritz. Obviously not Mars' greatest attempt.
      Still, It looked cool!
      I sold a lot of Hot Wheels and train stuff about 20 years ago. I miss it sometimes, but I needed the cash! I probably should sell a bit more for the room...but I probably won't!

      Delete
  2. Play some Wayne Newton near him and see what happens!

    I loved that movie.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It was so weird it was hilarious!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.