Sunday, May 20, 2018

A Bit of Luck from Old Denison, Texas

Today I'm going to share something that's actually my wife's. You see, I gave her this item several years ago as a gift, but since we live in the same house, we share the same attic, right? Before I show you the item, I'm going to give you a very, very quick (and very, very undetailed) history lesson.

In 1883 State National Bank opened in Denison, Texas. Denison was a rail hub, of course, and money was pretty much everywhere. The bank built a grand building in full Victorian glory on Main Street. This building lasted until 1970, when someone decided a marble box would be cooler. Here is a postcard that I found on line that shows the two buildings:

After...and before. I guess you can't tell which one I like better...
It was a sad day for a bank that, up until 1935 actually printed its own money! By the way, the box is still there, although the State National Bank is no more. I'm not claiming that tearing the old building down doomed the bank...but I'm not going to dismiss the idea either...

If only they had had a little bit more luck...like, maybe, THIS!



Yep, in 1958 State National Bank gave away aluminum key chains that held a shiny new 1958 penny! These were to celebrate 75 years of banking in Denison, and the "heads" side sports a four leaf clover, a horse shoe, and a wish bone in addition to the lucky penny!

I gave this to my wife for our seventh anniversary, since it was the "copper" anniversary, and she loves antiques. Also, the year is special as well.

So there you have it. She keeps it in her crystal ring box. Oh, and by the way, today is our 12th anniversary. Happy anniversary, Laurie!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.