Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Keeping the Trains Running on Time

Well, I assume the person that owned this item had something to do with keeping those trains rolling on schedule....or maybe not. Anyway, my item for this week comes from my good ol' hometown of Denison, Tx. I'm always on the lookout for Denison related items and railroad related items and this checks both boxes! Here is is:



Now, I don't know who R.A. Douglas is (or was) but apparently he was the assistant auditor for the Katy Railroad! Note that the stamp was actually made in Denison, which means it's even a little cooler.

Now anybody that knows anything about Denison knows that it was born because of the railroads. It was the jumping off point in the trip west, and in it's early days was pretty much the stereotypical wild west town. Heck, even Doc Holliday set up shop there!

The town was born in 1872 when the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad put a depot there. Soon it was overrun with a curious combination of saloons, brothels, and churches. If you are a history buff, Denison has a great story to tell!

Anyway, I have no idea what era my stamp is from, other than it hails from before the late 1980's. It seems fairly new, but it's hard to tell. Anyone with more info is more than welcome to comment and let us know!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.