Tuesday, January 24, 2017

When Tonka Went Tiny

Hello attic explorers! This week I'm featuring a toy that brings back fond childhood memories. In 1970 Tonka came out with a line of cars that were smaller than the typical Tonka truck. Instead of measuring in at the typical 8-12 inches (or more) these cars were closer to four inches long. The "Tiny Crazy A" line all featured the same body, with different paint, wheels, and tops. As a kid, I had this one...


The passenger side doesn't have a sticker...
 This is the Tiny Crazy A's Rat-A-Tat-Tat! It is obviously based on a 1930's gangster car, and as such is pretty much a black, straight stock 1930's Model A. Sometimes less is more, and that seems to be the case here. I just love the look of this car!

I can remember that mine had plenty of adventures holding up banks and escaping as imaginary machine guns blazed! Elliot Ness could never catch me!

Years later I found this in an antique mall...


Yep, it's the Crazy A's Tiny Taxi! As you can see, it's missing the roof (which is pretty typical) so I turned it into a touring car for my W.C. Fritos eraser....because....who wouldn't?

The car is identical to the Rat-A-Tat-Tat, except for the paint, stickers and rear wheels. The top would be the same if I had it.

These are really cool little cars that now sit proudly on my bookcase. I dust them every now and then and once in a great while, an imaginary bank may suddenly be short some deposits.... I think the eraser did it.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.